Interesting question about sealing maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by [Rx.] Christian Troy, May 2, 2017.

1. [Rx.] Christian Troy

[Rx.] Christian Troy L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Most of my maps have other areas outside of the main play area for players to teleport to. I have each area sealed with no draw by themselves rather than one big box so the maps take less time to compile and keeps the file size smaller.

Looking at other custom maps, I have noticed that some mappers will not only seal each area with no draw as well but they will also put one big box around all that too.

Is there any advantage to doing that? To me it seems that if all the areas are sealed already, then you are just forcing Hammer to do more work than it needs to and makes the file bigger for no reason. Not only that, it makes it much harder to find another area in the 3d window.

Is there really anything to this new trend I have been seeing?

2. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    I can't think of any reason why you'd want to put a box around two seperate, sealed map sections. I think you've just found some maps made by inexperienced mappers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. [Rx.] Christian Troy

Positive Ratings:
    Ah I didn't think of that lol. Yea the .vmf's I saw that did have that were fairly new ones. Seems my assumption was correct. Thank you. :)

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    The mapper might've been experiencing leaks they've been failing to fix, and, exhausted/annoyed/rageous, they just put a box around the thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. [Rx.] Christian Troy

Positive Ratings:
    I would guess that too but this was from more than one author and more than just one map.

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    It's the go-to lazy "hey, this worked and I don't care enough to fix it the right way" stop gap. 100% the worst thing you can do to seal your map and just promotes bad habits and sloppy work. Your method of sealing each one individually is the right way to go about it!