Installing theme packs?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kraken, Feb 20, 2015.

  1. Kraken

    Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

    Messages:
    434
    Positive Ratings:
    115
    Probably a n00bish question, but how do I install theme packs?
     
  2. sevin

    aa sevin

    Messages:
    954
    Positive Ratings:
    652
    Link to the one you're trying to install? They typically come in .vpk format, which you can just drag and drop into your custom folder.
     
  3. Kraken

    Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

    Messages:
    434
    Positive Ratings:
    115
  4. Vel0city

    aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

    Messages:
    1,884
    Positive Ratings:
    1,488
    It'll install itself into tf/custom. If it doesn't do that, tell it to install in tf/custom.
     
  5. Kraken

    Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

    Messages:
    434
    Positive Ratings:
    115
    Looks like it worked, thank you
     
  6. Lampenpam

    aa Lampenpam

    Messages:
    995
    Positive Ratings:
    329
    Is that recommendable? I mean when you pack the map, while the custom content is located in tf/custom instead of tf/, will it still pack the content properly?
     
  7. Crash

    aa Crash func_nerd

    Messages:
    3,074
    Positive Ratings:
    4,563
    I've found VIDE doesn't like auto packing from the custom folder, but manually it all works fine. The path you give it inside the bsp is the important part.
     
  8. sevin

    aa sevin

    Messages:
    954
    Positive Ratings:
    652
    People who put it in custom are just doing so to keep it out of the way of the source files to hopefully stay a little more organized. .vpk's, however, must be installed in the custom folder or the root tf directory I believe. If you have VIDE, it doesn't check there by default but you can just tell it to check custom and it'll find everything.
     
  9. Vel0city

    aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

    Messages:
    1,884
    Positive Ratings:
    1,488
    You just need to tell VIDE to look in the tf/custom folder, it'll find about 95% of it. The other 5% needs to be added manually.
     
  10. Crash

    aa Crash func_nerd

    Messages:
    3,074
    Positive Ratings:
    4,563
    Well see I'm poorly organized so it's the other way around for me. 95% of my custom content is in the main directories rather than the custom folder.

    Because reasons.