info_player_teamspawn bug

deadsource

L3: Member
Jul 11, 2011
I have multiple info_player_teamspawn with a setting of ANY team. While testing with bots they all spawn in the first ever created info_player_teamspawn while ignoring the others. When changed to RED or BLU all of the bots still spawn on the same info_player_teamspawn. I've googled this and found that some people had this issue too but didn't find an answer. Any ideas?
Map source: http://www.mediafire.com/?xlqccgttdjlvamo

Jan 8, 2011
Shot in the dark here, but are they copy/pasted? I once heard that only the first spawn will work if the others are copies of it, but then I was also told that that was false. Still, it might be worth checking out.

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
Shot in the dark here, but are they copy/pasted? I once heard that only the first spawn will work if the others are copies of it, but then I was also told that that was false. Still, it might be worth checking out.

Yes, they're copied. Lemme just quick check that...
Nope, still the same...

Last edited:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
Maybe in TF2 info_player_spawn doesn't work properly if set to ANY team? I had 2 RED and 2 BLU info_player_spawn entities and those worked fine while the ANY entities are being ignored.

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
hey deadsource... I've dealt with this issue countless times and had many headaches over this because it's hard to know exactly what the source of the issue is..

1. it could be that the player spawns are touching the floor, in which case the engine chooses not to spawn you there. raise up all the player spawns by a few units to fix this.

2. it could be you dont have func_respawnroom triggers and/or is not associated with the specific info_player_teamspawns.

3. it could be because you are trying to set Associated Control Point / Blue spawn for round / Red spawn for round in the info_player_teamspawn (if it is single stage type of deal, just leave these blank)

4. it could be the cp/pl logic for round settings is messing up the spawns.

5. randomly even though you have done everything right, it still won't work, in which case do everything again from scratch

hope that helps... and hopefully you don't have to do number 5

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
by the way.. an interesting note. players will spawn in the order that you place your info_player_teamspawns. so if you make 1 teamspawn at point X, then copy that over to point Y, then copy both of those over to point Z, it will spawn the players in the order you created them. X spawn location will go first, theyn Y, then the two at Z next. AFAIK, there is no way to change this order except by deleting all your player spawns and remaking them.

if point X is an invalid spawn, it will choose the next valid spawn to spawn you at. if all your spawns are invalid spawns, then it will just place you at X

Last edited:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
hey deadsource... I've dealt with this issue countless times and had many headaches over this because it's hard to know exactly what the source of the issue is..

1. it could be that the player spawns are touching the floor, in which case the engine chooses not to spawn you there. raise up all the player spawns by a few units to fix this.

2. it could be you dont have func_respawnroom triggers and/or is not associated with the specific info_player_teamspawns.

3. it could be because you are trying to set Associated Control Point / Blue spawn for round / Red spawn for round in the info_player_teamspawn (if it is single stage type of deal, just leave these blank)

4. it could be the cp/pl logic for round settings is messing up the spawns.

5. randomly even though you have done everything right, it still won't work, in which case do everything again from scratch

hope that helps... and hopefully you don't have to do number 5

Welp, I tried everything above except for the 5th one...

Sep 7, 2012
Yes, they're copied. Lemme just quick check that...
Nope, still the same...

It might be entirely arbitrary because I personally have never had this problem, but if you just checked for them being "the same" then that might not be enough. For people who have had issues with copy/pasted spawns, remaking them is the only way to get them working.

Arne

Nov 22, 2012
I had the same issue while working on a ctf map. But when I checked the console. It was because I had no any func_respawnrooms for the teamspawns. It worked after rebuilding the .nav too.