[Info] The Ten Commandments of TF2 Level Design.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I disagree with the TF2 texture thing - there are plenty of cases where it is appropriate to use a texture from another Source game so that it doesn't break the TF2 feel. Like others have mentioned for carving (I just use clipping and vertex manipulation, but that's mainly because of my experience with Radiant-based editors) it's something you need to do responsibly, but you can do it.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Not really, game engines are licensed and baught.
Yeah, like with Natural Selection, Action Half-Life, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, TFC... oh, wait, no, they didn't :p

Carving is only bad if you don't know you are doing. It's like saying, "Don't drive a car! You might crash!".

I used to think so too, but I realized most of the times I really wanted to make a square hole in a flat surface, it was often less work to slice it manually.

More like "Don't play with that arc-welder, you might burn or blind yourself". The average person will find various glues, tapes, staples, nails, etc. far safer and effective.

Last edited:

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
I hate to admit it, but I have carved before. There were two instances in my current map when I had to carve. And guess what? It worked like a charm. (Of course, I was carving in a certain way...)

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
Curious if people feel the same way about "make hollow" as they do about carving.

I used to do both and have since stopped using either. I find I am happier with the results, even if it takes a bit longer.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
"Make Hollow" is OK, but I always end up having to tune the way it has chosen to make the walls and ceiling match anyway... I think of it as a shortcut for making a bunch of brushes of roughly the right size that I will need to fine-tune.

Once you discover the 'x' and 'z' shortcuts, it's a lot faster to make you view twirl around and to size things just-right in the 3D view.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
or if you are like me, you leave the map unsealed, put in a Void Saftey Bubble to protect your eyes from the Hall of Mirrors, then just run around your awesome ultraleaking map and sticky jump unhindered from one end of the map to the other clearing thousands of units of deadly void.

happyface100.png

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, like with Natural Selection, Action Half-Life, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, TFC... oh, wait, no, they didn't :p

You can't license your own Game Engine to yourself. They own the engine already.

FYI, dod was baught. But most of the others like NS are free mods. You don't breach copyright laws if you don't profit from it. Dark Messiah is a prime example. Source was licensed to the mod team and they were able to sell the mod; it is now available on Steam.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I disagree with the TF2 texture thing - there are plenty of cases where it is appropriate to use a texture from another Source game so that it doesn't break the TF2 feel.

This is true, and I did mention you can use them. Heck, even 2fort uses a half life texture.
Besides, these arn't laws. If you know what you're doing you can stray from them slightly.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
All are good except 10. Carving isn't as scary as people would like to believe.
Part of it is this: In complex carves, how do you know it didn't mess something up? The time spent checking may outweigh the time spent by just slicing it up manually.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Part of it is this: In complex carves, how do you know it didn't mess something up? The time spent checking may outweigh the time spent by just slicing it up manually.

One day I'm going to make an entire map in negative form and simply carve it into a giant block.

:lol:

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
One day I'm going to make an entire map in negative form and simply carve it into a giant block.

:lol:

Oh shit I accidentally all over my computer screen.

That would certainly be a sight to behold.

Last edited:

Rizz

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2009
I'm not using TF2 textures on my current map, although I'm not combining TF2 textures with custom ones either. I'm using a completely different them than the TF2 default theme.
I carved some of my map, it doesn't lag or run bad at all. In the video below, you'll see the jump pad which was a carve.

This is the map I'm working on, I don't see why carving is so bad.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetIbQU3_p4"]YouTube- TF2 Map: TFDM7[/ame]

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Carving is bad. There's no situation where you NEED to carve, and if you do, you're not thinking right.
You could have made that from an arch, it would have been easier to optimize and work with.

Aug 10, 2009
*continues with the above*

Carving is the lazy way out of figuring out how you should clip it. Unfortunately, algorithms still haven't caught up with subtle tricks, so chances are that if you stick to your own skills and intelligence, you should fare much better off. By that I mean the pieces will be better aligned with the grid, and you will have less bits of brush in general.