CP Indulge 2015-10-01

Vilepickle

1. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Finally final!

Indulge is a completely original, Sawmill-themed 5CP map that is very fun on public servers. It does not stalemate as much as traditional 5CP maps on public servers, and uses height more than most 5CP maps. The map comes off the heels of my other 5CP map that has made it into many leagues. I consider Indulge to be a refinement of my experience on cp_follower, and playtesting has shown the map has a lot of variation and strategies. The development cycle was long, and there was plenty of time for anyone who wished to submit their feedback. I listened to everyone, even if they did present things that weren't implemented.

Download/Screenshots: http://static.vilepickle.com/maps/cp_indulge.zip

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    Is this... A fresh map by VilePickle!?!

Not based off of any map?!??!

I think my head is going to explode....

3. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Whats this, a map going straight to beta? :(

4. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    Don't worry, internal alphas are being done :p (with mostly competitive players I talk to checking it out right now). I don't think I've ever released a public alpha since my alphas REALLY aren't playable.

And yes, completely fresh. Anything similar to an existing map is probably by coincidence (I think my 2-3 connector has a few minor similarities to Granary but that's really all I could possibly relate to anything out there).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  5. eraSuS

eraSuS L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great. Hope this gets into the competitive scene. ;)

6. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
  7. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Nice looking alpha =p

awesome man.

8. Lazy Eskimo

Lazy Eskimo L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Release it or I kill you.

9. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    This all the way!

10. frothy

frothy L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow. That looks great. Captured the sawmill theme flawlessly.

11. FreeLance_FoX

FreeLance_FoX L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    In the first screen, the brick building outside the map bothers me. It looks too normal and industrial for the sawmill setting, IMO.

Again, I've offered to host alpha testing for you, and whenever you're ready just email it up.

-FoXy

12. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    I used a couple of brick buildings in the map just because I think too much wood is a bit bland. To me it didn't seem like they took away from anything, but I guess we'll see over time.

The buildings I used it on are mostly the largest ones where you wouldn't really expect them to be make entirely out of wood.

13. kankle_king

kankle_king L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well follower took about 2 mins to become a good comp map, so I've got high hopes for this one! We'd love to test so let me know

14. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    Updated with the first beta

15. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    WOW. Nice

I did a run-through, and it really feels like a polished, final map. How do you do that so fast?

16. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    After 10 or so TF2 maps it gets pretty routine :)

Having a lot of free time after work these days helps too.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    We've been playing it over on the Couch Athletics Public server and generally we like it.

That said there are some issues. It's pretty big and there's alot of small pathways and not alot of large singular choke points. The 2nd to last caps can be single capped faster than 5+ people on the middle point. After that you're screwed cause you've got a long walk to the 2nd point and by that time it's too late and you usually lose the last point.

Other than that it runs really well, looks nice, and you ported over the sawmill effects really well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedback. I _really really_ hate comments about general "bigness", but I can give some insight on the playable area size. It's essentially smaller than Granary, so I don't think that's really an issue. Make sure to use the left shortcut when exiting CP1 from spawn to speed up the travel time out, it should be well shorter than most 5CP maps.

Cap times are default Granary/Follower/etc right now and I'll need some good testing to tweak as needed. If anything the last point probably needs to be extended by a second since the spawn is further away but I'm not positive.

Middle (I think) seems to cap slower due to its reduced area size and the fact that the other team can come from a lot of ways. It may need to be slightly quicker.

19. breather

breather L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Just played it in a pickup with high/med skilled cevo players, I played scout during the few pickups we played. I think someone recorded a stv.

Overall, looks good, I think fights on 2nd play very well.

Mid feels very small, and it seems difficult for the medic to stay alive because there are so many different ways to go and flank at mid. Flanking is very fast at mid because it is so small. Since no one fights on the point, cap time might want to be shorter, but careful not to shorten it to much so that scouts can't backcap mid too easily.

2nd forward spawn is too close to 2nd point. It is too easy to defend 2nd when you're attacking

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    [Map Update] cp_indulge_b2

Indulge has been updated to beta 2 based on feedback this weekend. Please update your copies of the map!

Download and Screenshots: http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_indulge/

Changelog:
    BETA 2 CHANGES/FIXES:
    General-
    -1st forward spawn makes it more obvious where to go upon exit.
    -2nd forward spawn location swapped with opposite team (now on your own site of mid)
    -2nd forward spawn respawn time reduced to somewhat accomodate increased distance (equals Badlands)
    -Saw volume reduced, damage down to 20 per tick (does not instagib)

CP1-
    -Removed lower entrance to stop excessive back capping
    -Two resupply cabinets are now in spawn
    -CP area now more open and cover given to defense to compensate, point is visible from spawn now to prevent ninja caps
    -Cap time increased 1 second
    -Added a new ramp up to the bridge for ease of exit and another path out of lower area
    -Medium ammo added to a risky area down below

CP2-
    -Cover added to Cp2
    -Rearranged some health packs

CP3-
    -Medium HP moved closer to the side building
    -Moved the concrete blocks near mid some to prevent the over excessive flanking (flanking is still pretty major though)
    -Reduced mid cap time 1 second since the CP is quite vulnerable