Inconsistent lighting between the world and the skybox

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by VegetableFace, Nov 3, 2011.

1. VegetableFace

VegetableFace L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Heyo. I'm trying to set up a 3D skybox that lines up seamlessly with the rest of my world displacements. I've managed to get it to actually line up perfectly, but the lighting is inconsistent
    http://imgur.com/U7mwW

Is this just how skybox lighting works, or is there something I'm missing? I've currently only got the light_env in the actual worldspace, but I've tried placing it in the skybox with no luck.

2. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    3dsky casts shadows onto play area, but the play area doesnt cast them back. You'll need to copy some of your shadowcasting brushes into 3dsky and possibly make the lightmap scale smaller.

3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    It actually works better when you put the skybox a bit farther away and worry less about being so exact

4. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    You should probably not be using the 3d skybox for that. Use it to display stuff that is beyond your cliff.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, i've had trouble with this in the past and the only way to resolve it properly is to move your 3dskybox "seem" further away from the play area.

6. VegetableFace

VegetableFace L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the replies. Seems like the simplest solution would just be to move it back into the playarea.

Cheers!