Improve the detail in Hammer!

chickenm4n

L1: Registered
Nov 27, 2009
Not many know about it, but you go to; Tools>Options and click options. A new window should pop up, then go to the 3D view Tab. There you can change the Detail options and buff it up to max if you wish. :)

i believe you misunderstand what the OP is referring to.

3choE

Feb 20, 2010
Hi all,

I have installed a new video card (Radeon HD 4870) and now having the corrupted text issue as in the following pic (from the Valve Dev Help Desk page):

HammerText.png

Hard to do any mapping with this issue... :(

I did a forum search here and found this thread, so instead of starting a new one, I just bump this thread and drop my question here.

Some discussions I have found:

- http://simonsarris.com/node/24
- http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Help_Desk#Corrupted_Text
- http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=107259

Most of them are 6 months to 1 year old, and many of them don't have any definite solution. Does anyone have an up-to-date solution to this issue?

Thank you very much. :)

Sep 12, 2008
Just wondering, did you try downloading the cfg you can in this thread - maybe that'll solve it?

3choE

Feb 20, 2010
Hi DaBeatzProject,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have just tried using your .cfg file from the 1st post, and got no luck with it. :(

Here is my screen cap:

hammercorruptedtext.png

(By the way, should I drop the dxsupport/ folder to that location, or just the dxsupport.cfg? I tried both anyway, and did restart Steam each time, didn't work for me anyhow...)

Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I didn't really expect it to work, I'm not so familiar with the technical stuff of hammer. You could send an e-mail to sdk(at)valvesoftware(dot)com. Last time I sent an email I had a reply within 24 hours.

Ofcourse if anyone else here knows a solution to your problem - you don't have to bother mailing them. :p

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I used to get it and don't anymore, that's after some reinstalls and refreshing SDK content and defragging game files and stuff since I remember having it.

3choE

Feb 20, 2010
Grim Tuesday,

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Do you have a 9600GS/GT?

I don't have that one.

The one I have now, that is having the corrupted text issue, is a Radeon HD 4870 (link). My previous one before it was HD 3870.

midget31394,

I used to get it and don't anymore, that's after some reinstalls and refreshing SDK content and defragging game files and stuff since I remember having it.

Another Google search I found this thread (link) on the Steam forum. Like most of the other discussions that I have found, this one ended 6+ months ago, which I guess either ATI or Valve had fixed it back then.

Anyway, so far I have tried the following (in sequence), yet none of them solved the corrupted text issue:

- refresh SDK Content.
- uninstall/reinstall Source SDK.
- uninstall/reinstall Radeon driver (ATI Catalyst 10.4, for XP).
- used the ATI Tray Tools (link) and forced anti-aliasing (of DirectX) to be 2/4/8x, instead of application controlled.

One thing I notice, is that after switching from HD 3870, to HD 4870, I launched TF2 with -autoconfig, and by default anti-aliasing was disabled. So I thought the corrupted text in Hammer was caused by that, but as mentioned in the above, forcing anti-aliasing to be 2/4/8x didn't help,

DaBeatzProject,

You could send an e-mail to sdk(at)valvesoftware(dot)com.

Of course if anyone else here knows a solution to your problem - you don't have to bother mailing them. :p

Yup, that's what I am trying to do. :p

I am going to bump the above thread on the Steam forum, to see if others had the same issue first.

Update (5-24-2010, @4 am :p)

Hi again,

I read this workaround (link) again, and indeed the ATI Tray Tools (link) can fix the issue.

As by doing:

attsettings.gif

and now:

hammercorruptedtextfixe.gif

Still, whenever I need to check the compiled map in game, I have to switch that option off. :facepalm:

Last edited: