Importing custom model issue.

Chromsmith

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2017
So. For a couple of weeks I had an issue with importing models with their textures from Nintendo into the source engine. Doe I managed to get the model itself and it's texture separately into engine , I cannot bring them togheter in one piece. The model it is suppose to be a skybox rigged from Nintendo and the result of it was not what I was looking for...

I've analysed the files I had and I concluded that the gateway that the model had for textures was different , so here is a quick look at what I had first time and then what I had after decompiling the mdl. file with the crowbar tool...

The following edited files info was as follows...

skybox_day text file:

// Created by Crowbar 0.34.0.0
$ModelName "dr_inkopo/skybox/skybox_day.mdl"
$StaticProp
$BodyGroup "skybox"
{
studio "skybox_day_reference.smd"
}

$SurfaceProp "default"
$Contents "solid"
$MaxEyeDeflection 90
$CDMaterials "models\dr_inkopo\skybox\"
$Attachment "placementOrigin" "static_prop" 0 0 -58.17 rotate 0 0 0
$CBox 0 0 0 0 0 0
$BBox -400 -400 -341.829 400 400 341.829

$Sequence "bindpose" {
"skybox_day_anims\bindpose.smd"
fadein 0.2
fadeout 0.2
fps 30
}

studiomdl.bat file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\studiomdl" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" %1
pause

After those files were supposevely done, all I had to do is drag the text file into the studiomdl.bat app and recive the model with textures with the right gateway that connects the model with the texture for the skybox. right? no. I actualy got this interesting piece of error right after I dragged it in...

As for a source of inspiration that may helped me out to reach this point in solving this model importing was this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dam1fy5Bi7A

So ya... if enyone could be interested in helping me with eny kind of advice to get myself out of this dead end , I would gladly apreciate it , I can provide more information at eny request and will gladly listen to eny idea what so ever , if you have a more complicated solution , add me and we will discuss! Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• missing.jpg
    missing.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 225
  • original files.jpg
    original files.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 224
  • edited files.jpg
    edited files.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 241
  • error.jpg
    error.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 231

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The name of the .vmt file the model looks for is stored in the .smd, it isn't the name of the model itself. That's probably been exported wrong.
Open the .smd in a text editor and you should be able to find what texture it's looking for and use find and replace to change it to your vmt name. It will be the line of text in front of every triangle like gong01 here
A9L9bwt.png

Chromsmith

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2017
The name of the .vmt file the model looks for is stored in the .smd, it isn't the name of the model itself. That's probably been exported wrong.
Open the .smd in a text editor and you should be able to find what texture it's looking for and use find and replace to change it to your vmt name. It will be the line of text in front of every triangle like gong01 here
A9L9bwt.png
The texture that this smd. Is looking for has exactly the same name that the texture i imported has. Saddly thats not the issue. But thank You enyway.