I'm Trying to make a Map That's Easy To Understand for New Players

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pyromancer, May 31, 2011.

1. Pyromancer

Pyromancer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to make a list of things it should include to make it easy to understand and to help them play. (I doubt they'll play it, but heck, it'll be fun making it), here's my list so far.

• Direction arrows (team coloured)
    • Markers for the control points (Alot use this anyway)
    • Ideal sentry spots (Maybe too easy?)

Got any other ideas for me to put in it?

2. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    intuitive layout of the map... but that might as well end up being a flat square with spawns on both ends

3. Pyromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I'm gonna make it simple and small, a friend also suggested a way to show a sniper spot, but I'm not sure how I will show that.

4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    take a look at dustbowl's rocket on the third stage, it can be seen from everywhere and gives the player a general sense of direction. landmarks are good but arrows are overall more effective I think

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I was thinking about doing this a while ago. Instead of making a map, take an existing one and use the annotation entity. Place it (in the .vmf) where you want the note, and then recompile the map (make sure to rename it)

6. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Detailing helps a lot as well. Creating focal points that the player gravitate towards.

7. Pyromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I've constructed the basic map, with all it's design, and I'm going to consider adding things suggested, e.g. a rocket above the Contol Point C, aswell it's small-ish so they can get around easily.

8. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Being small != easy to find your way around. It could also mean boring and underscaled. Make it a normal size, just make sure it's also easy to navigate.

9. Pyromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I was planning on making it tiny, but luckily enough, it has actually turned out about the right size. I'd say a bit bigger than small-normal.

10. Pyromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Also thanks for that about the annotations, this will help me help people play my map.