I'm having a off day.

wyn10

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
For some reason I can't get this look with my water....

I am looking for a spire look type of water. Cause elevators are slow; limited space in stairs for moving etc...

My water ingame looks like this...
water1.png

Inside the water...
water2.png

In Source SDK...
insdk.png

I am looking for this; I want to be able to see outside of the water while in it...

Example of me being able to see in it....
spire.png

And able to shoot outside while still in it...
spirelook2.png

Thanks...

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Source does not like to have water faces on anything other than the top face of a brush.

Jayden

Jul 28, 2010
Source does not like to have water faces on anything other than the top face of a brush.

So we couldn't create an aquarium? bawwwww

Well, put in perspective, it beats the Halo Custom Edition SDK. That' engine only allowed you to have one water level on the entire map.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
So we couldn't create an aquarium? bawwwww

Well, put in perspective, it beats the Halo Custom Edition SDK. That' engine only allowed you to have one water level on the entire map.

AFAIK Source goes poopie with more than one plane having a water texture (like in HCE).

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
As long as they're in separate visible areas, they're fine. And to top it off, it only causes reflections to screw up.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Additionally, Source can only handle 1 plane of water at full capacity, the rest will have to be a low quality version (cheap water).

You cannot have vertical water without issues such as this.

wyn10

Nov 22, 2009
Can someone show me a example? I'm getting confused by the responses a little bit...

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
An elevator should be fine, PLR_hightower kinda approved elevators though generally they are counter intuitive to complimentary TF2 gameplay: Being chokepoints and too easily camped.

It's better to make a fast elevator than a water "U-bend". But at the end of the day, a ramp or stairway, if possible, is always better.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009

More like Source doesn't like to have water on any non-horizontal face. Even if its the top face, but its sloped, it'll probably fail.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
More like Source doesn't like to have water on any non-horizontal face. Even if its the top face, but its sloped, it'll probably fail.

See that's actually funny because I managed to have sloped water in Gumbo. Not that it was any good at all.