I'm a professional level designer and so can you!

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Has anyone sent emails to the design candidate mailing list? We're having an issue right now with it, so if you haven't gotten a response or a bounce back, please be patient. If you'd rather, you can post your questions here and I can answer them in the meantime.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I forgot there was an email listed or I suppose I would have sent some, but since you're here I'll ask. Could/should I email to get some clarification on the concept layout? A couple of the interior spaces are hard to understand from what is given. Or is that not important enough for showing proficiency and I should just take a best guess?

and since I'm here... I'm under the impression I should apply once I have the map finished rather than beforehand, am I mistaken? Awhile ago you said you had submissions, but I wasn't sure if they were test-less or this position was up on the site for some time before you posted here.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
The layout is really a suggestion. Thats just an example of our MP map pitch sheets. The final level never looks anything like the top down.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
I'd stay away from heavy detailing the entire level. Pick a spot and make it the 100% art corner if you want to show what you can do, but thats not the focus of the design test. The most detail I do on a blockout is texturing cubes and finding some quick xmodels to suggest what the area will be.

and since I'm here... I'm under the impression I should apply once I have the map finished rather than beforehand, am I mistaken? Awhile ago you said you had submissions, but I wasn't sure if they were test-less or this position was up on the site for some time before you posted here.

Forgot to answer this :(

You should apply and email me when you're positive you'll get the layout in. If you're not going to get the test in on time, just let me know and I'll pull you out of the running.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
It might be a little unclear for what we actually do then. As a designer we focus on gameplay, technical brushwork (clipping / portalling / mantles / etc), cover placement, flow, and game logic like spawns.

Once a map gets to the technical brushwork level where I'm mostly doing portalling or clipping the artist's work, I start a new level and keep flexing that level building muscle. I've got a pile of ideas I'm ready to roll on, just incubating them until its their turn.

Art handles the detailing of the level and the art direction. I tend to detail a little more than the other designers because its just what I'm used to, but its not uncommon to see levels dev (or case, as the textures are called in COD) textured going into art after being design locked. If I think an idea is really working I'll put an extra day into an area to really sell it. I don't make any custom assets save for the loading screen and the compass map.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, that makes sense now. I've known there is often a separation in the work at the professional level, I suppose it didn't occur to me since I haven't dealt with seeking employment for it and didn't make the connection with the "design" term. Oh well, live and learn, the extra I've done can't hurt I suppose.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Good

... I don't like detailing.

Question: When looking at a portfolio, I understand that they look at your design, rather than the looks (per-say)... How much weight do certain projects have over others? eg: Would a full mod be better than a couple TF2 levels? or is it REALLY just down to how well you design what you've done?

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Yeah, that makes sense now. I've known there is often a separation in the work at the professional level, I suppose it didn't occur to me since I haven't dealt with seeking employment for it and didn't make the connection with the "design" term. Oh well, live and learn, the extra I've done can't hurt I suppose.

Yeah if we did everything then levels would take 8-10 months to complete and we'd be feature creeping all the way to the end. Seperating the roles helps good ideas stay in and bad ideas out.

No extras won't hurt. It shows you're engaged in the idea and you're confident enough in the area that its ready to move on.

Good

... I don't like detailing.

I was never super on detailing when I was doing TF2 maps. I really started hitting a groove with my artpass map, koth_mill and cp_upland to where I was getting confident enough that what I was doing made sense and fit in TF2. In COD I'm not there yet but I'm working on it. Theres a whole new set of features to master and its a little daunting when you see your coworkers pumping out environments in a few days.

Question: When looking at a portfolio, I understand that they look at your design, rather than the looks (per-say)... How much weight do certain projects have over others? eg: Would a full mod be better than a couple TF2 levels? or is it REALLY just down to how well you design what you've done?

A full mod would show you can work as part of a team and under someone calling the shots, so its valuable in that aspect. Individual levels show clear direction and if you can explain your process it'll work just as well. I had no mod work on my portfolio when I was hired.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Well Baconman was a gamejam game done for extra credit. I drew the art in the game and only included it as an example of what I can do under strict deadline.

The sequel was even better. It was a beat em up game that was crazy violent. If you killed enough fast enough you ended up moving faster because the floor was so slick with blood.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Something that embarrasses me that I missed -

If you are working on the test, please save the level as 'mp_(yournamehere)' rather than mp_hargeysha!

If I get one level named mp_(yournamehere)... :mad:

Last edited: