I'm a professional level designer and so can you!

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Aw man, I hate myself so much right now because I live right down in Milwaukee and this would be perfect for me but I don't have CoD4 or a computer that can run it. :'C

But you said this happens roughly every August, eh?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I appreciate you, Irishtaxidriver. It is a big wall to climb over.

Speaking of which, I see a listing for environment artist internship at Raven. Is there anyone at Raven in particular apart from the Taleo application hoogldy-boogldy I would have better luck contacting? I'll take any form of art test/demonstration they would throw at me.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I would say 18+, you'd have to relocate to Wisconsin if you don't live here already. If you're not old enough, don't worry. As far as I know this is a re-occuring thing every August (or if you wow us with your design you could start earlier / later).

I know larger companies have pretty comprehensive relocation stuff like Valve and Blizzard, it's sad that smaller companies often don't offer anything. Do you provide any assistance in relocation?

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
/doublepost

What is the deadline for this? I didn't find anything on the Raven site nor did you mention.

No deadline, but the longer you spend on it the better it'd have to be. For a rough idea, we finalize a blockout within a month, and art takes 1.5 months ontop of that. Thats probably 8 people total per map. For a good amount of time, I'd guess about 160 hours or so?

Aw man, I hate myself so much right now because I live right down in Milwaukee and this would be perfect for me but I don't have CoD4 or a computer that can run it. :'C

But you said this happens roughly every August, eh?

It will as far as I know.

I appreciate you, Irishtaxidriver. It is a big wall to climb over.

Speaking of which, I see a listing for environment artist internship at Raven. Is there anyone at Raven in particular apart from the Taleo application hoogldy-boogldy I would have better luck contacting? I'll take any form of art test/demonstration they would throw at me.

Emailed HR, as I told you on steam. I'll get back to you.

I know larger companies have pretty comprehensive relocation stuff like Valve and Blizzard, it's sad that smaller companies often don't offer anything. Do you provide any assistance in relocation?
How does the studio feel about foreign applicants, such as from the UK?

We have a bunch of people from the UK, and I assume you're both asking about the same thing. I'll ask HR, but if I had to guess I'd say no for an internship. I had no relocation moving from NJ, I just brought a van full of furniture with me and picked up odds and ends from people around the studio, and both of our new lighting interns just brought their cars. The only compensation I'm aware of is a monthly housing stipend.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
I heard back from HR about the environment art position and whos handling it. If you're interested in it, please send me your portfolio and I'll pass it along.

You'll also need to formally apply to the job (env art intern if you're that way, or level design intern if you swing that way) on our jobs page, adding this to the OP.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That's a shame, but i appreciate the situation. I suppose it's to be expected. It's only natural for a company to employ locally first if they can. Especially if any local counsils have anything to say about it. I can only imagine the hassle in trying to organise a green card etc.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
If you're interested in an internship this August, please read this!

We need the design tests no later than APRIL 30th. Once you've submitted it you need to email me (dan [at] danmerboth.com + dmerboth [at] ravensoftware.com with your NAME, MAPNAME, and PORTFOLIO. In the subject put "RAVEN INTERNSHIP:" followed by your name.

I'm already getting submissions! Get in on the ground floor!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Its all about the portfolio, our lead MP designer dropped out of college.

EDIT: Also, my college degree is in Information Technology, all I use it for at work is BSing with the IT guys.

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Its all about the portfolio, our lead MP designer dropped out of college.

Any studio dumb enough to give a bigger shit about a piece of paper saying someone can do something, rather than the actual work someone has done deserves to get the piss.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Any studio dumb enough to give a bigger shit about a piece of paper saying someone can do something, rather than the actual work someone has done deserves to get the piss.

Yeah, I've never heard of any studio requiring a college degree or anything. At most they'll want it so they know you're able to communicate with other people on a reasonable level.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I thinking flying literally half way across the world, and then trying to get a permanent visa to do an internship is a little much :p

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
I thinking flying literally half way across the world, and then trying to get a permanent visa to do an internship is a little much :p

This is true. Still can't hurt (and I already sent the email).

EDIT: Also forgot about visas. That might throw foreign applicants out entirely.

Last edited: