If I put in a lot of movers, will this increase network traffic?

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
I have some things in my map that move and slide around - just for visual appearance sake, to make the map interesting. They're tucked away in hidden corners - away from the main combat areas. However, will these things add to network traffic? I made them out of func_tracktrains and func_doors of various kinds.

Have no idea what, if anything, in a map can increase network traffic.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
I dont think so, as this isnt anything client-server like. And even if, it shouldnt cost too much, i mean if even garrys mod with lots of physics stuff is playable, what sure costs more performance, that should easily work.

MoonQuake

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2009
If these objects in the background have names and other entities make them move using outputs, there's impact on the network, though minimal, because that makes them server-side managed entities.

But if your moving objects are triggered by themselves using !self and if they don't have names, they'll become client side entities and it's not gonna cost network traffic. Only thing is, just like ragdolls that are client-side too, you could see something on your screen that your friends would see differently.

MQ

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Related question: If I have a physmotor moving some non-solid brushes, is there any way to make the whole system effectively clientside? (How would I be able to tell?)

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
See this page for netgraph info:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2_Network_Graph

Use !self and !activator for your system's inputs and outputs . You can still use names and parenting, but I think that only works for parenting if you want to keep it client side.

I gotta go, but others might be able to confirm if parenting has no impact on network performance.

Blue552

Sep 16, 2009
As long as players do not collide with it. Physboxes will affect, especially if players collide with it.