IDLERS BEWARE! BLU is onto you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragimus_Max

L3: Member
Jan 13, 2008
TO: ROBIN WALKER

Sir,

It has come to our attention that several employees of Team Fortress Industries have been breaking company policy... again.

Although we expect this kind of hoo-hah from those failures at Reliable Excavation Demolition, I regret to inform you that their illegal practices have spread to our division as well.

Like taking a two week leave and returning with a rotted groin, I find this extremely irritating.

It seems that many employees are altering their time cards, so that it appears that they have been working overtime, when all they are really doing is standing around that damn ping pong table all day, yappin' like a bunch'a school girls.

This would not be a problem if our incentive programs didn't exist... but they do, and all offenders must be penalized accordingly.

I have already suggested death by firing squad, but for some reason, the rest of our company has a problem with shooting their own men.

It seems they feel that the best way to control this situation would be to calculate the average time an employee spends in the field, add a few hours for bathroom breaks, and then filter out the "over-achievers". Once this is done, we can sneak into their footlockers and replace all incentive items with coal.

That's right. Coal.

It's cheap, causes cancer if inhaled, and it stains the fingers if eaten. In other words, it's the next best thing to beating them within an inch of their lives with an ammo box (which was my second suggestion - also denied.)

Considering the source of this criminal activity, I suggest you begin with penalizing all RED employees first. I don't know about you, but it would sure as heck make *my* job easier.

-Intel

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like something to do with the idler?

People with rediculous hours in TF2 will have their items replaced with something.. not their current stash of weapons/hats.

Which could bode unwell for me, as i have played TF2 crazy amounts this past week legitametly, and only idled about 10 or 12 hours and got nothing in return.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like something to do with the idler?

People with rediculous hours in TF2 will have their items replaced with something.. not their current stash of weapons/hats.

Which could bode unwell for me, as i have played TF2 crazy amounts this past week legitametly, and only idled about 10 or 12 hours and got nothing in return.

but where was this found :\

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Robin himself said the idler isn't an exploit. The idler has no effect on the drop rate or chance of getting hats. It's no different then sitting in spectate of TF2.

Shoomonger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2009
nooooooooooooooooooo! youme's conspiring against us! (time for youme-o-w-2 walkthrough part 1)

Fragimus_Max

Jan 13, 2008
Send it already if you havent!

Sent it yesterday. ;) Figured it would fire up the forums (make them more active) if I re-printed it a few places.

Unfortunately, it spread like a disease on one of them and I started getting attacked.

That's what I get for calling a group of clannies "cheaters". ;p

Ruh-roh!

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, in the current way the system works its not a hack. Simply because you play on a non vac secured server and they allow those servers to let you get the unlocks.

I still wonder why valve hasnt changed that, if they would then the idler would be dead and if any new one came it is a real hack and so can couse a VAC ban.

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Well, in the current way the system works its not a hack. Simply because you play on a non vac secured server and they allow those servers to let you get the unlocks.

I still wonder why valve hasnt changed that, if they would then the idler would be dead and if any new one came it is a real hack and so can couse a VAC ban.

Maybe cause hats aren't really a big thing? Sure everyone wants one, hell even I'd kill for one but in reality they're just status symbols and don't effect the game at all.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Robin himself said the idler isn't an exploit. The idler has no effect on the drop rate or chance of getting hats. It's no different then sitting in spectate of TF2.
Citation needed?

I don't want to use the phrases "hacking" or "cheating", because those are loaded with additional baggage and technical quibbles.

The idler is certainly a form of gaming the system.

It's a damn shame I don't get drop-chance for the time spent in Hammer...

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
It's fake.

Someone posted it on the Steam Forums, and linked to BLU's official website; there were several grammar errors, when the guy edited the post after I pointed them out was when I knew it was fake.

It was followed shortly by a "RED is onto you!" and "Spectator is onto you!" duplicates.

---

As for Robin's views on Idling, according to Steam Forums (and a reply from Robin), he sees Idling as a form of cheating*, to an extent I agree, but they didn't do anything about achievement grinding servers, so why should they act on the idle server(s)?

* I don't even come close to referring to cheating in the context of hacking or exploiting, this is merely what Robin said, from what I gathered, Idling did affect play-time, but I 'm not 100% sure about any of what I've included in this post.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Way to clarify what the hell you're talking about...

I take it you're annoyed at people who use the idler. To which I reply that you're just acting like an idiot, because it does not disturb people who are not idling. Jesus Christ, when will people get this? When can I stop repeating this obvious fact?

EDIT: I know I'm being an asshole about this, but this "e-mail to Robin" is obviously just yet more whining, in a disguise. I'm sick of it.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's fake.

Someone posted it on the Steam Forums, and linked to BLU's official website; there were several grammar errors, when the guy edited the post after I pointed them out was when I knew it was fake.

It was followed shortly by a "RED is onto you!" and "Spectator is onto you!" duplicates.

Well duh.. we aready know that fragimus is responsible for multiple spoof TF2 websites.. Did anyone honestly think this was official valve stuff?? :eek:hmy:

Fragimus_Max

Jan 13, 2008
If I've learned anything today, my friends... it's these three things:

1) That the TF2 Community is full of very angry, thuggish children. (Don't know why I didn't see *that* coming, to be perfectly honest with you.)

3) Valve's got some serious fixin' to do.

And...

c) That using an external program to simulate spectator mode on a game server to get rewarded items meant to be found during gameplay is not cheating - even though, for some reason, no one can justify why they need an external program to do so in the first place.

I mean, am I *that* far off base? Really?!? 'Cause maybe I'm just an old douchebag, but "back in my day" gaming the system was considered cheating.

I think I'm going to shoot off a real e-mail requesting several Valve employee's opinions on the issue, and whether or not idling is hindering some sort of technical progress as I suspect it is.

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
1) That the TF2 Community is full of very angry, thuggish children. (Don't know why I didn't see *that* coming, to be perfectly honest with you.)

Look in a mirror.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
so much hate <_<

I happened to enjoy reading this rather cleverly written complaint...

MrMuffinMan said:
I take it you're annoyed at people who use the idler. To which I reply that you're just acting like an idiot, because it does not disturb people who are not idling. Jesus Christ, when will people get this? When can I stop repeating this obvious fact?

Meh, I find it quite annoying when all my regular servers are empty, so I scan my friends list for a game I can join and I see 6 people idling...
So...there you go, I have been disturbed, you can now stop repeating it. :p

Still, id love to see valves response to this, hopefully they write it in the same tone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.