Idea For New Contest/Event

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ades, Feb 21, 2015.

1. ades

ades L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had an idea recently about maybe some sort of contest/event where people would go back to there first map and try to make it work as a balanced completed map. so i just wanted to here your opinion on my idea

2. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    -I should mention I was involved in the making of this idea.

And he forgot to mention a few things that were in the chat. I.e. Some people not making a first map yet, and some people having horrible first maps

1: I personally feel like people making a first map shouldn't be competing in contests anyway, as it's much easier to get their self confidence crushed in a contest.

2: That's the challenge. I'd be happy to participate, and look at my first map: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=23054&highlight=untextured

3. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Contest suggestions go here!

I dunno, I defer to someone far more experienced to me as to whether they would like to revisit their first map. It seems to me like something some people would love and others detest.

4. ades

Positive Ratings:
    not everyone has to join

5. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    I actually don't like that thread because it's easy for something to get brought up once and immediately forgotten.

6. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
  7. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
  8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    It's there for reasons like this. It doesn't get forgotten, because thats the thread people go to for contest ideas, not a side-thread made somewhere else.

9. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    It was about four times too big. Everything was overscaled, look at the track size! And back then, I even though it was small. However, I do think I will eventually make a pl map under the same name and just reuse the thread.

10. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    This doesn't make sense, for most of our first maps to be changed enough to make them good, they'd no longer be like our first maps or recognisable enough

11. ades

Positive Ratings:
    there could be rules around how similar/different it can look

12. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    You can't make a crap map into a mann map while restricting differences.

13. ades

Positive Ratings:
    true

14. ok comp

ok comp L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Haha, I pretty much did exactly this with koth_rocktop. Not my first map ever since I mapped for other games before TF2 but it was my first honest attempt at a TF2 map.

The idea isn't bad, maybe it could even be expanded to unfinished projects in general? Or maybe collect a couple of donated unfinished/abandoned maps, and people draw numbers to select which ones they want to complete.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    We know that.
    That's the point of the challenge.

16. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    thank you!

17. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I think the best way we could make this work is if we gave everyone the same map(s) to start with. It'd be sorta like the artpass contest, but with a focus on revising the layout. The only issue with this that I see is that we'd probably end up with a lot of very similar maps.

We could do something where everyone starts out with the same cap design or payload path, and then let people build from there. I've heard that it's been done before, but it's also been many years since - why not give it another shot?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    For me it would be a pain to edit tc_invasion to even become decent in gameplay and fps. For me the 2nd map would get alot more potential (pl_donut - which i think would be an excelent medieval map if i restyle it).

But yes, the first map idea is a bad idea. Especialy since for most people the first map had such a huge amount of flaws that it would require a complete redesign from scratch. And its worse for those that went with odd systems as they generaly would need to scrap it to begin with.

Idealy i rather would see a contest in changing an old failed map (either yours or someone elses) to a new gamemode and make it work for that. But even then some people have major advantages by having a more solid base map for certain styles (in my case that would become medieval donut and i mostly would just have to edit its visuals).

Maybe for a 72h contest it might be suitable. But a full contest. better not.