I want to produce a SnowPlow Pro version (Proplow)

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Inmate's Butler, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Inmate's Butler

Inmate's Butler L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm starting a project to firstly optimize snowplow so more players on weaker pc's can play and secondly to make it usable in comp this is because we do not have a enough attack and defense in comp and i would want to bring the game mode into comp starting with snowplow.

What i need help with?

1. I need the map.
    I have not been able to get the map open in hammer I know I'm just being stupid so pls tell me how to open it.

2. what i need to do?
    I'm fairly new to map making but with a bit of guidance i can make this idea come true

3. What parts do you want changed?
    What parts of the map do you want me to optimize and change? i have a fairly good idea of wht to do but if theirs any thing i need to change pls say so.

2. Hoplitejoe

aa Hoplitejoe

Positive Ratings:
    I would recommend you don't start with this project, it would require a lot of work and most likely wouldn't end up with comp picking up the map (they have incredibly high/arbitrary standards for maps).

Try making your own A/D map for pubs, and when you have more experience come back to this.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    First of all, you should get in contact with the creators of the map (Fr0z3nR and YM) and ask for permission to modify it.

Secondly, you need to "unrepack" the map. This is the case with all Gun Mettle maps. Type the following command into the console: "bsp_repack -nocompress maps/cp_snowplow.bsp maps/cp_snowplow.bsp". Only then can you decompile it.

Hoplitejoe is right though, this will be no easy feat (especially for someone who is "fairly new to map making") and you'll be better off focusing on your own projects.

4. Inmate's Butler

Positive Ratings:
    i guess you have a point with experience ill probably focus on getting more use to map making.
    i have made a couple of attack defense maps but never tested them with other people thxs for the advice

5. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
  6. Inmate's Butler

Positive Ratings:
    thxs kilohurts probably would of bit off more than i could chew
    now i saw tht i know i got a hell of a lot more to do before i can take it on

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Snowprow, please.

8. Inmate's Butler

Positive Ratings:
    how do you pronounce tht YM

9. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    You could try downloading the artpass map (what became Mann Manor/Mountain Lab) and editing that to be comp friendly. It's already neatly dev brushed out. It's great for learning with because you get a pretty well made base to fool around with.

10. Inmate's Butler

Positive Ratings:
    thanks tyler im going to give it a shot
    this realy helps

11. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, I would not use Snowplow as your first map, as Killohurtz said, it is the largest and most complex official map, to date. Anyone with a not-decent computer is going to have a hard time, and anyone with anything less than a few maps under their belt are going to have a very confusing (heh) time.

Its .vmf is also basically the second-to-last inner ring of hell for Source Mapping, for me at least.

12. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Is snowplow bigger / more complex than hydro?

13. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Yes.

14. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    For a map to be "pro-ified" you need solid gameplay on the map you want to make pro, and Snowplow does not have that, like, at all.

You should watch Crash's tutorials on how to map here. They're pretty awesome.