I think I've spent too much time in Source...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Clone5184, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Clone5184

Clone5184 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I think I've spent too much time in source. For example: One day while I was on the way home from church, I looked at a black reflective surface and saw purple and black checkers. My first immediate thought was "Well, looks like I have to recompile the cubemaps." Then I realized something:

A.)The black surface was actually just reflecting parts of my sister's shirt, though it was partly obscured, created the checker effect.

B.)I was in real life, and not a level I created.

Has anyone else had a similar thing, were they spent a lot of time in Source (or another video game) and started thinking or applying logic like you were still in-game?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I stopped mapping and playing for a while when I started dreaming that I was in various Half-life worlds - the original one.

3. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    I once saw a not-so-round round pavement corner and I thought "that could have more vertices"

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Do some work in UE4 and things will even out.

Though, seriously, welcome to the world of level design and game development. You have no idea how many times I've stopped and taken a picture of a random room, or building or treeline because I thought it could make a really cool gameplay space.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    I have accidentally referred to foggy weather as "poor draw distance."

6. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I saw a girl with a shirt that had black and purple squares. I thought that her shirt had missing textures...

7. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    i used to think water in many games looks silly and 'unrealistic' and was surprised when i noticed real water actually looking like the 'unrealistic' game water

kinda strange considering i cross a bridge erry day to work

8. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Same thing with me! You know, mapping has really made me see the little things that can go a long way towards inspiration.

And on topic, sometimes when I play Minecraft, I press ctrl+z to try to undo breaking a block.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I know that after I played BioShock for the first time, I started paying more attention to the normal mapping and phong shading in real life a lot more for a while.