I think I've spent too much time in Source...

Clone5184

L2: Junior Member
Aug 11, 2014
I think I've spent too much time in source. For example: One day while I was on the way home from church, I looked at a black reflective surface and saw purple and black checkers. My first immediate thought was "Well, looks like I have to recompile the cubemaps." Then I realized something:

A.)The black surface was actually just reflecting parts of my sister's shirt, though it was partly obscured, created the checker effect.

B.)I was in real life, and not a level I created.

Has anyone else had a similar thing, were they spent a lot of time in Source (or another video game) and started thinking or applying logic like you were still in-game?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
I stopped mapping and playing for a while when I started dreaming that I was in various Half-life worlds - the original one.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
I once saw a not-so-round round pavement corner and I thought "that could have more vertices"

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Do some work in UE4 and things will even out.

Though, seriously, welcome to the world of level design and game development. You have no idea how many times I've stopped and taken a picture of a random room, or building or treeline because I thought it could make a really cool gameplay space.

The Siphon

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 2, 2015
I think I've spent too much time in source. For example: One day while I was on the way home from church, I looked at a black reflective surface and saw purple and black checkers. My first immediate thought was "Well, looks like I have to recompile the cubemaps." Then I realized something:

A.)The black surface was actually just reflecting parts of my sister's shirt, though it was partly obscured, created the checker effect.

B.)I was in real life, and not a level I created.

Has anyone else had a similar thing, were they spent a lot of time in Source (or another video game) and started thinking or applying logic like you were still in-game?

I saw a girl with a shirt that had black and purple squares. I thought that her shirt had missing textures...

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Though, seriously, welcome to the world of level design and game development. You have no idea how many times I've stopped and taken a picture of a random room, or building or treeline because I thought it could make a really cool gameplay space.

Same thing with me! You know, mapping has really made me see the little things that can go a long way towards inspiration.

And on topic, sometimes when I play Minecraft, I press ctrl+z to try to undo breaking a block.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I know that after I played BioShock for the first time, I started paying more attention to the normal mapping and phong shading in real life a lot more for a while.