I propose an Arctic Theme Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah that. Cripes, that was a longer time ago than I realized. Anyway, it turns out he already released the particle effect in this pack, so we won't have to ask permission to include it in our thing. Which is good, since he hasn't been here in ages.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Needs to look more distinctly solid. Add some white scratches on the surface.

I can't. The shader doesn't accept the $bastexture command.

This is also why I can't create a blend texture. You can't load a .vmt file (which is the only file that creates the refraction, no .vtf is used as a base texture, only a normal map for the refraction, but that's defined with the $normalmap command) in the $basetexture command, so a snow-to-ice blend can't be done with blend textures. I used a really bad example of how to sort of blend snow in via a snow texture overlay.

What I will try however is place a solid texture right underneath it. Maybe it works, maybe not. But that's for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I wonder if you could literally place them in the same spot and not have to worry about z-fighting, because the one that has a $basetexture has no other $basetexture to z-fight with.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I wonder if you could literally place them in the same spot and not have to worry about z-fighting, because the one that has a $basetexture has no other $basetexture to z-fight with.

How's this?

CTKyeJt.jpg

It's still 2 separate brushes with a 1 HU gap in between, where the top brush has the refraction layer and the bottom part has a heavily modified water_2fort_expensive texture.

Now I need a way to have the solidity of the refract texture with the fog and reflective aspects of the water shader so I only have to use one brush. If I can do that, well, I will be very happy.

Last edited:

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Finally, my arctic skybox is READY!
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=6060
It has room for improvement, but I feel like this is ready for the people to see :lol:
A little screenshot:
C258E877D8FEC70BA7803A0EF772FFD9A097D3AB

It does have a wonky bug where instead of stretching the bottom, it just copies the skybox. Don't know why. But, it works, and the copied layer shouldn't be seen anyway.

I do feel like the clouds are a bit thick.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I think the thickness is fine, it's the sharp edges that look unreal.

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Finally, my arctic skybox is READY!
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=6060
It has room for improvement, but I feel like this is ready for the people to see :lol:
A little screenshot:
C258E877D8FEC70BA7803A0EF772FFD9A097D3AB

It does have a wonky bug where instead of stretching the bottom, it just copies the skybox. Don't know why. But, it works, and the copied layer shouldn't be seen anyway.

You might want to lower the gradient a little so that it's closer to the horizon. Similar to dust bowl's skybox, you know. When you have it that high it touches the top seam and the side seams, which makes the cube effect more obvious. That's just my theory though

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
You might want to lower the gradient a little so that it's closer to the horizon. Similar to dust bowl's skybox, you know. When you have it that high it touches the top seam and the side seams, which makes the cube effect more obvious. That's just my theory though

It shouldn't be too obvious during normal play. Besides, if I lowered the gradient then it wouldn't look nearly as bright :|

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
It seems to be quite noticable in the corner of the skybox in your image.

I mean people will be too busy blowing the crap out of each other to notice. Obviously I'll fix it later, but as of right now, it's not like people are gonna throw a riot because one person noticed a flaw in the texture.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I mean people will be too busy blowing the crap out of each other to notice. Obviously I'll fix it later, but as of right now, it's not like people are gonna throw a riot because one person noticed a flaw in the texture.

Do it now, so you don't have to do it later.

Also, your clouds look really not good, they're too dark and really stand out.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014

You really should give those clouds some depth. They aren't exempt from lighting, nor are they a uniform thickness. Since your sky is bright, the thinner parts around the edges of the clouds should be lighter while the thicker parts remain darker. Like this:
143140372_521b9ee6f1_z.jpg

You may also want to consider toning down the white or using a more gradual gradient, 1) because skies are not normally white unless it's a cloud cover, and 2) white would be better reserved for the highlights on the clouds, and you need a non-white sky for that to stand out.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
You really should give those clouds some depth. They aren't exempt from lighting, nor are they a uniform thickness. Since your sky is bright, the thinner parts around the edges of the clouds should be lighter while the thicker parts remain darker. Like this:
143140372_521b9ee6f1_z.jpg

You may also want to consider toning down the white or using a more gradual gradient, 1) because skies are not normally white unless it's a cloud cover, and 2) white would be better reserved for the highlights on the clouds, and you need a non-white sky for that to stand out.

That's the sun.

Here is the whole skybox:
2048x256.resizedimage

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
That's the sun.

Here is the whole skybox:
2048x256.resizedimage

Okay but you can't even tell where the sun is because that entire area is stark white. Note the image in my last post, and how the brightest area is much smaller and gradually transitions into blue - the sun does not cast light with constant intensity. Not only will adding that gradient to your sky make it more realistic, it will also open up the brightest color in your palette for some much-needed highlights.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
HQ, may I ask what tools you used to make this skybox? I'm amazed by how TF2 it looks.

I just recolored in GIMP :|

Also, is it just me, or is half the people here like: "bleh! It's terrible, get rid of it!"
And the other half is like: "Sick! I love it! Put it in the pack!"

Status
Not open for further replies.