I need urgent help, unexpected end of file error.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Mr. Origen, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Mr. Origen

Mr. Origen L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    After staying up late many nights, for countless days, and after putting my heart and soul into this map, it comes up with an error. I can't load it, and me being stupid i forgot to enable autosaves. I need help, I'm afraid of losing all of my hard work.

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Shitty Member

Positive Ratings:
    What error specifically are you getting?

The .vmx file is a backup of a previous version of the map. Change the extension to .vmf and try opening that.

3. Mr. Origen

Positive Ratings:
    The error is "File C:\Hammer Tools\abstruse\trade_abstruse_v2.vmf, line 453745: unexpected end of file. The .vmx file gives the same error when renamed.

4. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    You'll probably have to post your .vmf.

5. Mr. Origen

Positive Ratings:
    Here it is.

Attached Files:

6. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    I figured out the problem. When I opened the .vmf in Notepad++, I discovered that you had placed quotes(" ") in the message keyvalue of an env_hudhint. Avoid this, as it corrupts the file. Removing the quotes fixed the problem. The repaired .vmf file is attached.

Attached Files:

7. Mr. Origen

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver. Is there any way I can thank you? Do you want a key or something?

8. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, nested quotes are no bueno. If you need to use them in a printed message, you can use these directional quote characters “ ” (as opposed to " ") to avoid parsing them as part of the vmf syntax.

9. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    I'm fine, thank you. Someone else could have done the same thing- this can happen more commonly than you think, this website is designed to help people out with errors and mistakes like this. Besides, I'm not one who really cares about amassing a digital inventory.

• Like Like x 2