I need ideas/help for making a tf2 "serious" map.

FunnyPyrofish

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2021
Alright so, I want to make a cp map but I can't find any ideas, I tried to draw some stuff but that was really bad, I don't know at all where to begin, I'm doing more and more great on hammer so thats not about a problem with the editor that I eventually couldnt understand, I really really want to make a tf2 map, I have a lot of respect towards tf2 mappers and I find almost all of the maps on the workshop ultra cool. Please if you know yourself about making tf2 maps I would really apreciate some help, for example, how you begin and what are maybe your goals or your ideas in mind. Thanks :()

(btw that's a repost from the r/hammer community, so this is why you maybe see me again)

Mugenman88

Apr 8, 2021
Screenshot_20210729-104239.jpg

Take this to heart, friend. When I made my maps I had no idea what theme I wanted to use, I just built out and expanded as I thought "oh hey what if I put this in" like 20 times in a row. Writing down is nice for ideas but free flow making is my way of doing things, and I think a good way of getting started. If you want this map to be serious as well don't be afraid to join the discord and get it live playtested. You'll learn a great deal just by watching what the various good players on the server do on your map

d3adfin

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 21, 2019
find maps you want to take inspiration from

FunnyPyrofish

Jul 28, 2021
Screenshot_20210729-104239.jpg

Take this to heart, friend. When I made my maps I had no idea what theme I wanted to use, I just built out and expanded as I thought "oh hey what if I put this in" like 20 times in a row. Writing down is nice for ideas but free flow making is my way of doing things, and I think a good way of getting started. If you want this map to be serious as well don't be afraid to join the discord and get it live playtested. You'll learn a great deal just by watching what the various good players on the server do on your map

Thank you so much! I was thinking that it was actually a bad idea do build without really thinking about your map, I tried some things on hammer and I'm very happy of the result! I'm finally unblock, thx again :)

T

The Asylum

As a time saving measure, yes, you'll want to have at least some idea of what you want to do beforehand. Its an incredibly crushing experience to have poured so much time and effort into a map, only to find out that none of it works. I've been there. Many times.

Of course there really is nothing stopping you from winging it and still knocking it out of the park, it can happen. But generally, if you want to make efficient use of your time, take to heart my college mantra: "Practice safe design. Use a concept."