I need help...

Ceiling Man

L3: Member
Jan 27, 2009
Okay, I've been working on a map, and I clicked "Run Map", it did the whole Compile thing, and then once TF2 starts up and the Valve intro movie goes by, it crashes.

I checked for any leaks and got rid of the only one, I also clicked "Check for Problems" and they said there were none.

Any advice?

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
It only shows one leak at a time.

When you get a leak fix it.

Compile again:
BSP only (no vis or Vrad)
check 'do not start game'.

That'll only take a minute. Then just try and open your point file. If it can't find it leaks are gone.

Now compile and go ingame.

Look at the log too, might have a displacement tied to func_detail. That can also act similar to a leak.

Last edited:

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
leaks wont cause crashes as far as I have seen

if your crashing at the intro movie than its the game and not your map as your map hasnt loaded yet.

the one crash i know can happen at that point is regular HL2 trying to load in 64bit mode. need to use '-32bit' in the run command to fix that.

if your loading up tf2... can you manually start tf2, then use the menu item 'create server' and load the map or any other map? if you can do that, then its definatly not the map, could be a memory issue instead. Hammer and TF2 are memory hogs.

something else you can try is use expert compile mode and add '-console -dev' to the line to start the game. If you get to the console then it will have a list of things going on that may give you a clue of whats going wrong.

maxtraxv2

Jan 23, 2009
just make a brush box over the hole map make it hollow and use it as sky box

that shpuld make all the leaks go away

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
just make a brush box over the hole map make it hollow and use it as sky box

that shpuld make all the leaks go away

aaaack, dont do that!

This just masks the problem and can make your map run like complete crap, add huge times to compiling, etc.

if you have leaks, open the point file with notepad and it gives the coords of the problem, use the 'go to coordinate' feature in hammer and poof, theres your problem. (helps if you turn on point files in hammer too). Hint: easiest way to prevent leaks in Hammer is to be careful when you copy/paste. for some reason on occasion it likes to paste with the corners off the grid. After that, try to stick to larger grid settings when building exterior walls like 16, 32 or 64. If things dont meet up, they really stand out that way.

(i do have to admit, i make a box around my map when building though. but thats because I like to make a few rooms and see what it looks in-game like before moving on. after i get the exterior areas layed out, i delete the big box)

Ceiling Man

Jan 27, 2009
Update: Okay, it works after the movie, but when it gets to the loading screen (The one with Heavy, Pyro, Spy and Demoman and the little Loading... on the bottom)

As soon as it gets there, I get this error asking me to terminate the program. (Shut it down because it crashed)

I checked 3 times and there were no leaks or problems at all. >_>

Is it because I put in water and a cubemap?

Ceiling Man

Jan 27, 2009
'Nother Update: Found out the problem, I did the water in the pool wrong, and I guess it was also the cubemap's problem as well.

I guess this is what happens when you listen to a little kid on how to make that kind of stuff in hammer. >_>