I need help... (again)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Smitty #1, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Smitty #1

Smitty #1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Can someone explain to me how to make these yellow one-way prop doors? This is literally the only thing preventing me from uploading my first map.

[​IMG]

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    image machine broke

3. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    Oh wow, ok it's basically just that yellow gate that you can find on Swiftwater a lot.

4. Narpas

aa Narpas I don't know what the heck

Positive Ratings:
    I've always just copied it from the decompiled version of Dustbowl

5. OctoBlitz

OctoBlitz L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you have the Ultimate mapping resource pack from A boojam snark press :entitytool: then on the right under Catagories, choose the doors prefab and select a setupgate door. Change the Select option on the top right to "objects" and disable props in the visgroups tab, then rename each of the doors (example Onewaydoor_top for the top door and Onewaydoor_bottom for the bottom door) and go into the outputs for each door and delete the "On fully open, Kill" output. Then using :brushtool: use the trigger texture as you would a regular door and make it a Trigger_multiple entity, then put in the regular outputs for a door, just instead of listing each door's name, list it as "Onewaydoor_*" the * at the end targets all entities with that name. then just move the trigger to one side to allow only that side to open the door. I can provide images if you do not understand what I am saying.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    it didn't work.

7. Box Of Paper

Box Of Paper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I created a map with an example of one-way door.

You basically need to parent the prop_dynamics to func_doors (with "Render mode" set to "Dont Render"),
    and create two trigger_multiple:
    - One that opens the gates, which mustn't extend beyond them [OnStartTouchAll PropDoor Open]
    - And one that closes the gates which extends a little bit beyond them [OnEndTouchAll PropDoor Close]
    It isn't necessary to separate the outputs, but this way prevents the player from getting stuck.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, here is the problem, I need two of those doors in my map. And no matter what I do with the second door it keeps breaking in different ways.

btw. I really appreciate the map you made to help me.

9. Box Of Paper

Box Of Paper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You're welcome :)

I'm not sure of what's breaking the second door, I'd suggest checking the trigger_multiple's outputs and the func_doors' properties for wrongly setup targetnames;
    also check if the prop_dynamics are parented with the right door.
    If you have used * in the outputs like I did, make sure that the prefixes are diffrent for each gate, alternativly setup the trigger_multiples to open and close the doors you want to (using their full name).

10. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    I FUCKING DID IT!!!
    Thanks, to everyone who helped! Koth_construct_a1 will probably release next Friday!
    I'm just so relieved that this is over.

11. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    Yep... I added the doors to my map... and they didn't work...

GODDAMMIT I HATE YOU HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. FloofCollie

aa FloofCollie asshole

Positive Ratings:
    Are the names for the doors different?

13. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, but when I get close to the doors in-game they make a closing noise and they just don't open.

14. RevolutionTeam

RevolutionTeam L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, here's the best way to do the one way door.

ONE WAY DOORS:

STEP ONE - Create a brush (preferably translucent texture)

STEP TWO - Make the brush a func_door

STEP THREE - Make the func_door's speed 300, set the move direction to up, and name it "onewaydoor_top" (Remember the lip!)

STEP FOUR - Clone the door to the bottom, rename it "onewaydoor_bottom", and change the move direction to down.

STEP FIVE - Add a trigger that only triggers from the back, and do the "OnStartTouchAll" and "OnEndTouchAll" stuff.

STEP SIX - Add two prop_dynamics, sharing the names of the doors with "_prop" at the end, and parent them to their respective doors.

Congrats! You just made a one way door on a KotH map! Why did you even need it?​

15. Smitty #1

Positive Ratings:
    How can I get one brush to move to the right and the other to move to the left?

Q: Why did you even need it?
    A: I just need them.

16. RevolutionTeam

Positive Ratings:
    Set the move direction to Left (relative to your "Top (X,Y)"), and vice-versa.

17. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator qhull precision error

Positive Ratings:
    Keep in mind one-way doors are pretty undesirable in gameplay.

18. RevolutionTeam

Positive Ratings:
    Unless you're trying to do something like Dustbowl, then one-way doors aren't desirable.

19. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator qhull precision error

Positive Ratings:
    Doors in general (outside of spawn doors obviously) are undesirable - they create really awkward gameplay around them. Running up to a door and getting a faceful of sentry rockets at point blank after the door reveals theres a lv3 behind it is not fun.

20. RevolutionTeam

Positive Ratings:
    That's why you use setup doors, so that you can see what the hell is next.