I need a bit of help.

BeamyMcBeamy

L1: Registered
Sep 17, 2018
Sooo, i'm pretty new to mapping. I've only made like one map, and it was shit. And that was for CS:GO. But i want to make a tf2 map, that is one, fun to play on for a bit. And two, not too hard for a beginner.

Does anyone have a starting point for me? Like a map theme or design. Just something to help me learn hammer a bit.

btw tips are Always welcome :)

BeamyMcBeamy

L1: Registered
Sep 17, 2018
@radarhead I've wachted the series, but it mostly teaches u the mechanics, not really how to make a good open space map. But ill look for some tutorials on the forum. Thanks for replying!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
This is usually where I struggle!
I like to start with a single setpiece, such as a control point on a bridge, a staircase with a healthkit or a spawnroom, jump in-game and try to imagine the rest of the map from there.

However, I've never finished a map so maybe that's not such a good tactic. I know that the best method is probably to plan it on paper first, but either way you'll find the method that works for you!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
As for starting ideas for beginning mapping, I usually settle on a simple gamemode such as Attack/Defend, CTF or KOTH/Arena.

For theme inspiration, I recommend just looking around the stock TF2 maps. Find something about them that you like, and that can inspire you to take it further and incorporate it into your own map! For instance, let's say I load up Dustbowl. Maybe I like the feel of the low sun, beaten up wooden buildings and old mines leading off into who knows where. Now I have some ideas to build off of for my own map, and a theme I want to use.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
As for starting ideas for beginning mapping, I usually settle on a simple gamemode such as Attack/Defend, CTF or KOTH/Arena.

For theme inspiration, I recommend just looking around the stock TF2 maps.
Something that can also be super useful for deciding a theme + map gamemode can be the Connect 5 mapping grid. I find it super useful if I'm stuck on getting ideas for a map.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
KOTH maps are the best for beginners to make as they're small, simple (if you follow the Viaduct formula), popular, easy to balance between teams, and you only have to actually build half the map (the other half is made by just cloning and flipping/rotating the first half).

As per learning gameplay theory, here's some nice guides:
[GUIDE] Scale and your map.
[Guide] The Route Formula
[Guide] Tips and tricks with vertical space.
[GUIDE] Objectives and Your Map
[GUIDE] Balance, layout and your A/D map.
That last one is primarily about A/D, but a few of the principles it discusses can be applied to other gamemodes. KOTH can sort of be thought of as A/D where both teams take turns attacking and defending.

If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!