I have to find a new Hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Tutankabron, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Tutankabron

Tutankabron L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi all.

We all know that the Steam Update broked the old SDK Hammer. We also know that Valve put a beta version in the tf2 user´s steam page. The problem is that I can´t download the files because it wants a "beta password".

I don´t know if anyone posted the same problem, and maibe it´s stupid, but how I can get Hammer again? I have to download other tf2 mapping program? And If I have to, what program I have to download?

Thanks

Tut

2. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer is now in your Steam/ steamapps/ common/ Team Fortress 2/ bin/ folder.

I've heard some conflicting results, but personally, just running hammer.exe works for me. Others say Hammer.bat

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. deadsource

deadsource L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    New Hammer? Why not Crowbar?

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Because crowbar isn't even close to usable.

5. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    Notepad++ almost never crashes

6. Eureka

Eureka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You can find your new hammer in the tf2 bin directory. Or you can use this to get it loaded up quickly.

7. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    pretty sure all offical maps are hand crafted in notepad++

8. Tutankabron

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks all!! I never thought that the program was in the same Steam folder!!
    I was a entire month doing anything about mapping, becuase I doesn´t know Hammer was in front of my eyes!! :O

Well, now that the program location has changed, how to install custom models or maps?

Thanks

Tut

9. Eureka

Eureka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You'd install custom models the exact same way just with the updated location.

- E

10. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Custom content goes into Team Fortress 2/tf/custom, provided that it's packaged in a .vpk. While you can put maps in tf/maps (same goes for models and materials, with the fixed paths ofc, I assume), Valve wants you to use the VPK system because it's faster and things. I think.

11. Tutankabron

Positive Ratings:
    Hi again.

I have a new problem, I can download and use custom packs like Construction, Bulletcrops or the new Decker, but when I try to do the same whit single models, they didn´t appear in the model browser.

What I´m doing wrong?

Thanks

Tut

12. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    what single model did you try?

13. Tutankabron

Positive Ratings:
    I tried it whit some of the models from here, like the vineyards, the switchboard or the jukebox

14. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    I have been using hammer.bat and find that it's been the most stable version of hammer that I have ever used for some reason.

Not hat I have said that, it will probably crash on me withing the next 5 minutes :p