I have to compile with VRAD or VVIS, not both

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Werewolf, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    When ever I try compile my map, I either get a lit map with poor FPS, or a fullbright map with good FPS. Either VRAD. Most of the time if I try both I end up with the fullbright version. I have tried compiling with VRAD and VVIS set to all 4 combinations (Both normal, both fast, VVIS fast/VRAD normal, VVIS normal/VRAD fast.)

Doing Alt+P only complains of 'No Player Start' but I have spawn rooms in place so that should not matter, plus I don't think the lack of a player start would change things here.

I am using a custom skybox texture (this one specifically) but that appears fine with lights or not. I also tried to compile with the standard sky_tf2_04 it defaults to, but that didn't work either.

I have run the compile log though the log checker, but in case you want it I'll post it at the bottom.

I can't figure out why I can't essentially get both VVIS and VRAD to work at the same time. Could someone shed some light on this situation or how I might go about fixing it? Many thanks in advance.

2. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    i think this is your error:
    Patch Sample Radius Clamped!
    Patch Sample Radius Clamped!

Vrad crashes after in the BuildVisLeafs step hence it remains fullbright. Why without vvis it goes well i have no idea though.

Could the following maybe help: http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=310846

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Short of checking each and every brush side for any with odd Lightmap scales, is there a fast way for any sides with such an error?

4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    Patch Sample Radius Clamped! is fine, it's doesn't crash stuff, but yeah, vrad is crashing for some reason.

but hey, if you want to do a quick test, I think you can select all the faces in your map and change all the lightmaps to default size. see if that compiles

5. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    I changed the camera view to 3D Lightmap Grid and found a few problem area quite quickly. One with a scale of 54 (I presume it was meant to be 64) and some areas with 2 different scales next to each other on the same wall (4's next to 16's)
    Just running a test compile now, will edit/update when its done!

6. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Do you know what it could be?

I tried finding all the areas with odd scales or walls with 2 different scales, so far no luck.

7. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    I've just tried 2 more compiles.
    One with with VVIS off and VRAD set to normal - that gave me a 'Engine Hunk Overload"
    and again with VVIS set to fast and VRAD normal - which was fullbright.

In both cases I still got the "Patch Sample Radius Clamped!" in the logs.

8. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    I Googled the error and some other results indicated displacements were a cause. I deleted the maps 4 only displacements and the "Patch Radius" error stopped, YET STILL the map is fullbright!

Compile Log:

9. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    try regular vvis, not fast

probably wont help but try it anyway

10. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I was holding off on doing a double normal compile because that's when I go from 5 minute compiles to 2 hour compiles, but I'll set one to compile while I'm at work tomorrow and post in the evening.

11. Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    So I left it to compile with both VVIS and VRAD normal while I was at work, and I came back just now to fullbright.

Again, here is a mass of text:
    Running out of ideas now, anyone got any more?

12. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Although not related to the crash, you have upper case characters in the mapname. Its a bad thing to do as it gives issues for people to download the map on joining the server.

-----

Using the cordon tool, try making your map smaller at diffirent sections (start with 3 attempts with 50% of the map, first left, then right, then middle). When you find the issue try to make that specific area smaller until its small enough to be able to accurately try to find the problem.

Its very unlikely that the whole map gives the problem. But if it does then we at least know what to look for. If its a smaller area that makes it easier to find where the issue is since everything outside the cordon bounds isnt compiled at all.

Generaly starting near the areas you have done last when the problem started showing is a good part to start investigating using that tool. If that part on its own gives a problem while parts on the outside of it dont you already know where to look.

Crashing compiles without errors are just a pain and take alot of time to solve.