I Have NO Ideas..

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by RetroNuva10, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RetroNuva10

RetroNuva10 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have no ideas on what to map. My mind is like locked into place, and I can't think of a single map idea. I'd like some cool, fun map ideas with interesting themes

Example:

koth_graveyard (Halloween)

cp_liftoff (Space. This is the map I'm making which is on hiatus)

I was thinking of doing koth_graveyard -- But if you have good ideas, I may do those. Please comment your ideas! This is also supposed to help other people who have Mappers Block!!

Cheers,
    -Ben.

2. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    How about a PL map that descends from the top of a big facility down into a mvm_bigrock-like cave that follows into a mineshaft red are trying to destroy? I had always thought that would be cool.

But I wouldn't do a Halloween map, they are usually never played, and the Space theme is pretty new and hasn't been explored much, i think that would be a lot more interesting.

3. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Ignore the theme then, focus on making a fun area to fight in.

Worry about the detailing later, as it's secondary to having a fun map.

4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    you can just not map and do something else until you get an idea

mappers block lol

5. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah. I would be working on the Space map like hell, but there's a leak I believe, and I don't know where it is :confused: .

6. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    Lol. So true

7. KubeKing

aa KubeKing Back home in Jupiter, things are getting harder

Positive Ratings:
    If you absolutely have NO ideas, I'm not sure how you're surviving right now, not to mention start this thread.

8. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    Boobs. Boobs are a good way to stimulate the mind.

9. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Can confirm; I have two of them

In all seriousness, when I run dry on ideas I tend to alternate between sleeping on it and drawing up plans. I eventually seem to reach a breakthrough.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is how I start out. Just start putting random things together until I figure out a good way to make them work and be fun. Soon enough ideas of "oh that'd be great here" or "For this to work I would need this" and the larger picture starts to fill out in my head.

11. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun bap

Positive Ratings:
    I would consider taking a break from mapping. I'm doing it right now actually. I haven't logged onto steam for about... three weeks. But even though I've been inactive for less than a month, I already tons of ideas - way more than I did before. It just works for me.