I have a few stupid questions. -_-

Quintinity

L1: Registered
Apr 2, 2012
So I just starting map making and I need answers for some questions.

1. How do I apply a texture to only one side of a brush?
2. How do I make a brush with more than six side, like a hexagonal prism?
3. What do the Skip and Hint overlays do?

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
1. You select the texture tool (Shift+A) and click on the side (it's called face in level designer jargon).

2. There are some ways to do this, you can do it with the clipping tool (Shift+X) or with the vertex manipulation tool (Shift+V).

3. They aren't overlays they are textures like any other, but it's very difficult too explain, it's something about optimizing your map. You don't have to do this now, but here is a link:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hint_brush

Here is a link for the tools:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Hammer_Tools

This wiki is good anyway, you should spend some time reading it. ;)

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Personally for a prism I'd select the brush tool, change the selection in the "Options" under the Move Categories portion to cylinder, and enter 6 in the number below the selection for cylinder. That'll create a uniform hexagonal prism. (Hopefully you'll understand that)

EDIT:
tt.png

That's the box for cylinder. You can change the 8 to whatever number of sides you want. Afterwards you can manipulate it etc.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
1. How do I apply a texture to only one side of a brush?
2. How do I make a brush with more than six side, like a hexagonal prism?
3. What do the Skip and Hint overlays do?

1) :faceedittool:
This guy. Right clicking will apply a texture to a single face, left clicking will simply select a new face and use that texture. Alt+right clicking is a handy tool for texturing around corners as it snaps the new texture to the alignment of the one you have selected. IE you can texture faces on a curve without getting horrible misalignments caused by the texture face direction on the XYZ axis.

2) There are several brush shapes available, as Bloodhound showed. But you can also use this guy:
:clippingtool:
Clicking the button once will allow you to clip off one side of the line that you apply in the 2d views using 2 points that you can move about on said 2d view. Clicking it a second time will change the side of the line which gets clipped. Clicking it a third time will clip the brush in two, without deleting one of either of the sides, leaving you with 2 seperate brushes divided by your cut.

3) Typing in "tools" into the texture browser will show you all the special textures that are for use in Hammer and play unique roles in your game environment. Playerclip acts as a barrier that is invisible to players and is a "tool" texture. Brushes assigned such a texture become "tool brushes". They aren't disdinguishable in the 2d views like solid entities, but are differentiated by Hammer all the same. Hints and skips are another tool brush and are used to forcibly cut the world volume into smaller cuboids used to define rendering ingame.

To see such cuboids you can load the "portal file" in Hammer which will show you the maps visleafs, post-compile, as blue lines. You can also view them ingame by using "sv_cheats 1" in the console to enable developer commands and then "mat_leafvis 3". You can also use "1" and "2" to see other visleaf view modes.

Last edited:

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Alt+right clicking is a handy tool for texturing around corners as it snaps the new texture to the alignment of the one you have selected. IE you can texture faces on a curve without getting horrible misalignments caused by the texture face direction on the XYZ axis.

You just solved one of my life's many mysteries.

I love you.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008

I love you.

It also works with shift (as in shift+alt+rmb), so it does the whole brush at once.
Watch out for "perpendicular texture axis" errors though! They have a habit of appearing when doing it on rotated or angled brushes.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

I love you.

Fun fact: Before I knew this, I went to all the trouble of creating a special dummy texture with rainbow-colored diamonds all over it so that I could manually align every face and accurately eyeball it, before converting every face to the texture I actually wanted to use.

And for stuff like the siderails on steps I would actually use trigonometry to figure out the correct angle to enter in.