i hate overlays

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by (-TN-) Ben2, Apr 9, 2010.

1. (-TN-) Ben2

(-TN-) Ben2 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    in hammer 3d view all my overlays are whacked up, i cant see them properly, there are either blacked out or have lines through them or the colors are all messed up and its getting to be really annoying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, they fuck up in the 3d shaded textured view. the normal 3d textured view is ok though

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. RedO

RedO L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Overlays are cooler than your dog.

Just do as Fubar says and change the view to 3d textured.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Don't be afraid of Decals either. They're less useful in that you can't do as much customising in shape and appearence, but on a basic brush face and application, it's sometimes a useful alternative.

5. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have yet to find the individual advantage to decals. I understand that they don't take as long to set up since you don't have to assign a face, but their habit of leaking consumes more time than it saves. I thought, at first, that they would be better performance wise, but I remember reading somewhere that that's actually not true.

6. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Decals are more useful for small, undirected stains and spots. Things that nobody would notice aren't rotated properly, leaking is less likely or less important, and only add a bit of realism to a map. Drops of blood, dirt spots, pigeon poo (yes, there's a decal for that), etc.

They're less useful in TF2 IMO cause you don't see a whole lot of grunge/realism in a TF2 map. Plus most of the TF2 overlay textures aren't scaled for decal use anyway.

I tend to avoid decals lately in general, also due to how they leak onto other brushes.

Kep

7. ricardojvc6

ricardojvc6 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Decals and Overlays are almost the same things in common.. I have been managed to make my L4D2 map with decals and overlays together :)

8. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, the sole reason to use decals is that they are quicker to place?

9. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    There's an overlay limit that's pretty low. 256/512? There's not really a decal limit other than the entity limit.

Overlays are vastly superior in pretty much everyway. Bu that's not to say the decal doesn't have its uses.

10. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    I only ever use Overlays period.

11. Angry_Ed

Angry_Ed L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The only thing about overlays that bothers me is that all the ones I've made get this one-pixel-wide artifact line on the furthest edge of the overlay where there's supposed to be nothing. I've asked around but nobody else seems to have had such a problem.

12. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I try to use decals rather than overlays as much as i can and in 3d textured it still seems to have lines through them.

13. Timberjaw

Timberjaw L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did not know this. Thanks! Overlays have always driven me crazy because they're so hard to preview (though if you find just the right angle in Hammer, they draw correctly even with the shaded view).

14. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    It's antialising blurring the tile effect from one side of the image to the other. There are a number of resolutions... Void/Lord_Ned and Youme know about it i think. Nineaxis should as well since he made the overlay tutorial here.