I had an idea for a map

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by SquidCat, Oct 16, 2018.

1. SquidCat

SquidCat L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I've had an idea in my head that I've been thinking about for a while, and that would be turning my home village into a tf2 map. I've come here because I tried to make a map before and I'm not good at it. So I was hoping someone on here would like the idea enough to attempt it.
    I live in a small village called Unity and its located near the middle of Wisconsin and I think it would be a great place to turn into a map (Most likely 5cp) on the North end of town we have an establishment called Bad Habits that could be slightly modified along with a name change (Blu Habits) for the Blue Spawn and likewise on the south side of town we have a place called The Redwood which could serve as the Red Spawn. Oh and we even have a train that comes right through the town.

If you want to see for yourself Click Here
    If you are interested in doing this let me know so I can get you more updated references since Google has not updated Maps in our area

2. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    The best way to learn is by doing and it's the only way to get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    people have thought "my hometown would make a great [video game] map" since the dawn of video game mapping and i gotta be honest not a single one has been right

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    It's not technically my hometown but Kemptown is based on (and named after) a town I lived in for a few years.

But! If you've ever lived in Kemptown - or anywhere else in Brighton and Hove - you'll know that the map doesn't actually resemble the real-life location all that much. And that's because real-life Kemptown - along with roughly 95% of all other real-world locations - would make terrible TF2 maps. So I prioritised making a fun, original layout over a picture-accurate one, and I used the detailing to get the theme across. (Other examples of this are Havana and the official map Kong King.)

If you're really concerned with making a picture-accurate portrayal of your home town, you might be better off making a Counter-Strike map, since its design is much more true to life (and even then, you'll need to take some liberties in order to make something enjoyable to play on).

• Like Like x 1
Tags: