I graphed out how many times each texture is used! The answers won't surprise you!

Oatmeal

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2014
Can the programm also figure out what the most used props are? Would be fun to see whats overused in this category

My guess would be:
  1. Train tracks
  2. Rock004
  3. Tree pine extrasmall
Excluding resupply cabin and capture points and such.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
My guess is that lighting fixtures will be the most popular. I'll take a crack at modifying the code to find out.

EDIT:
TQpqFr9.png

rock005 placed 258th.

Full data

(Note that I cut materials/Sprites/light_glow03 from the list, which appeared 2372 times. I'm not sure how it showed up in the first place.)

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised that the oildrum prop is first. I assume that's because nothing else in the game is the same thing, if you get me - everything else has a couple of versions (light_cone_farm_32 and light_cone_farm, miningcrate002 and miningcrate001, both pairs of which are together more common). Same with the groundlight. What's impressive, given that, is the handrail - theres lots of other lengths and styles of handrail, and they're less common, but that one's still top.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Interesting you thought a texture added after the game's launch would be #1 @hutty. wood/wood_floor002 and wood/wall007a both came considerably after the game's launch.

Interesting too that the Hydro barrel crate has become so widely used after its addition in Gorge (Correct me if it was added earlier?)

Aeix

L3: Member
Feb 14, 2016
Interesting too that the Hydro barrel crate has become so widely used after its addition in Gorge (Correct me if it was added earlier?)
I'm fairly certain it's in doublecross, but I don't know when that was added

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I'm fairly certain it's in doublecross, but I don't know when that was added

Both are in the same update. I could have sworn that the prop was in use earlier - I was going to make a snarky comment like "did you guys not read the filename" - but I can't actually find any uses of it. It's genuinely disconcerting to think that it wasn't in any previous maps - I keep going "wait, badlands doesn't have it?... nucleus doesn't have it?"

That update was, however, six years ago, almost exactly a third of the way through tf2's lifecycle. It's been in the game for twice as long - and about twice as many maps - as it was out of it.

It's funny. I've been thinking of the hydro crate (added before i started) as "old", the newer Mann Co mvm version (released in 2012) as "too new and wierd", and the swamp and manor stuff (released just after i started in 2010) as "new and cool."

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

-Douglas Adams, The Salmon Of Doubt

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I guess that means TF2's Start-to-Crate time was two years and two months.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Interesting you thought a texture added after the game's launch would be #1 @hutty. wood/wood_floor002 and wood/wall007a both came considerably after the game's launch.

I started playing TF2 in 2012, so I don't have the release dates of all the maps memorized. (although I know alpine came out with whatever update brought arena. I guess i'm so used to seen alpine in custom maps, I assume the texture is more common. Its also my go-to wood texture.

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
I am geniuenly suprised models/props_mining/track_s_curve_48_Mirrored is used only once.