I graphed out how many times each texture is used! The answers won't surprise you!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by hutty, Apr 11, 2016.

1. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    So, I was bored, so I downloaded the entire decompiled valve map pack and made a program to keep track of every time a texture was used.

Before I go further, the raw data the program generated can be found here http://paste.ubuntu.com/15768988/
    And the program source code can be found here http://paste.ubuntu.com/15769002/
    To run the code, paste it into an empty processing project and toss .vmf files into [code_location]/data/

Alright, so across all of the maps in TF2, here are the 10 most used non-tool textures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The number 1 most used texture is wood/wood_bridge001
    With a total of 138,630 uses this texture wins out by a huge margin. TF2 has a lot of wood.

[​IMG]
    The lovable wood/wood_beam_03 takes slot 2 at 92,596 uses.
    This texture is the goto for "I need to texture this thing but I don't know what to texture to use." situations.

[​IMG]
    metal/ibeam001b takes slot 3 with 85,760 uses
    For being the only viable metal texture in the TF2 library, i'm somewhat surprised this one didn't score higher.

[​IMG]
    wood/wood_floor002 takes slot 4 at 82,915
    Now, this is the texture I thought would be number 1. I guess 4 is pretty close, textures after this have significantly less uses.

[​IMG]
    concrete/concretefloor003 takes slot 5 at 37,191 uses
    A surprisingly low score for what seems to be a popular texture.

[​IMG]
    wood/wood_wall002 takes slot 6 at 33,216 uses
    Can we call this game a hat themed wood simulator yet?

[​IMG]
    nature/ground_04 takes slot 7 at 26,367 uses
    This one is impossible to find when you think its concrete but its actually a "ground" texture. I wasted a good 2 hours trying to find this when I was new.
    Also, dustbowl probably accounts for half of its uses.

[​IMG]
    wood/wall007a takes slot 8 with 22,867 uses
    I had no idea this texture was so common. This is one of those things where i'm going to start seeing it everywhere now, isn't it.

[​IMG]
    brick/wall028 takes slot 9 with 22,583 uses
    This is one of those textures that most every map uses somewhere, but no map uses it alot. It ranked just as I expected it.

[​IMG]
    metal/ibeam002 takes slot 10 with 21,595 uses
    Being the go to texture for trims and door frames, this texture gets used and abused everywhere.

There you have it, note that my data simply counts the uses in the decompiled vmfs. It may not be accurate to what the mapper intended and it certainly is not accurate to what players see. (granary uses a spytech computerwall texture in so many non_visible places).

Also note, the above list does not include tool textures, or else nodraw and playerclip would take the top 2 slots. I also removed 2 mystery materials that were crashing my quick and dirty string manipulation. "0" which is used a bunch of times in arena_watchtower, and "1" which is used in mvm_rottenburg, once. Spooky.

Anyways, there you go. Maybe sometime we could do a contest that bans the top 30 non-tool textures, that would be fun.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    Uhhh...

How.... useful?

3. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    Copperplate font in a nutshell.

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    What are you counting, anyway? The number of unique faces in the VMF that are covered with the texture in question? Because that makes sense, but yeah, I would definitely not have expected some of these, mainly because they tend to be used for large faces. wood_beam_03 makes a lot of sense because it's used for almost all of the little detail brushes that are made of wood.

5. Shogun

Shogun L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm surprised metal\metaldoor001, imetal and the various roof textures weren't that common.

6. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    I would think that textures commonly used for smaller brushes and details would be used more often, since there's more faces.

7. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
    :nodraw: Scored higher

8. Popo

Popo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Did you miss this part?

9. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    I know but nodraw is still the most popular texture, just pointing that out.

10. Skullio

Skullio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thats kind of like saying this is the most popular song

11. Skullio

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry that video was just awful, that guy is such a showboater with the loud stopwatch beeps it just ruins the piece. This version is way better

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    You can edit posts, you know. @Skullio

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Skullio

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah. Sorry for spamming I really should beta test my posts and edit appropriately

14. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    Also I think the reason that wood textures are much more used the metal, is because ALOT of TF2 maps are more red then blu, like attack/defend maps.

15. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I would suspect that it's the beam thing - all of those textures are good beam/strut textures.

16. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Not surprised by the top two textures. I'm guilty of massively over-using them..

17. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    Now do the same for surface area per texture, i'm fairly confident that other textures will show up

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    itll just be the pro alpine grass texture and the alpine rock texture

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Can the programm also figure out what the most used props are? Would be fun to see whats overused in this category

20. Davekillerish

Positive Ratings:
    Hydro crate #1