i extremely hate areaportals!

(-TN-) Ben2

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 10, 2009
i put some areaportals in my map and compiled, there were a few leaks but i used the pointfile to guide me to those leaks, after fixing a few leaks and recompiling, i loaded the pointfile again because the compiler said i have a leak. the freaking red line went straight through one of my brushes, so it didnt help me find the leak at all, and now im stuck! :mad:

Bockagon

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2009
areaportals are a pain. Make sure there are regular brushes on all four sides of the areaportal brush. Not func_details or props.

Last edited:

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
That usually happens to me when I disable all non-world brushes so I can see the hull, and forget to re-enable the entities when I test compile. Areaportals will cause weird leaks, even when they are perfect, when there are no entities to define the "inside" of areas for them.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
area portals arent that complex. Its just like making a minimap that has to be sealed inside a map. It must seal on world geometry not details or props and it cant cut through water surface you have to have one on top one below. If your pointfile was pointing at a solid wall its possible your solid is corrupt ive had that happen delete it and remake the solid.

Darksoul

L1: Registered
Jul 6, 2009
All I can tell you is, use the "Go to coordinates" option from the view menu; take the coordinates the compile log gives you. It is not "obivous" but you can't seal an Areaportal with any brush entity: func_detail, func_brush or any of those funcs, use only plain brushes around Area portals, like stated before and before complaining again go to this site:

http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=errors

I'm no expert at mapping but I know better than create a thread to ask something that has been answered all over the internet...several times.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
My strategy has been to untick all visgroups from the "Auto" tab, which means I can see the red squiggly line and zoom on over to it. (I find this better than go-to-coordinates since I can get a feel for the overall shape of the line rather than hunting for it.)

Then re-enable everything except the world detail (props, func_detail) and displacements. Generally that shows me enough to figure out where the gap is, and if I don't see a gap I drag the sides of the brushes to make sure they meet on the grid.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
When you first learn about them they're a pain in the ass, but in future maps you'll begin to find yourself designing with what a pain in the ass they are in mind and it becomes easier to put them in.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You must seal an entire area off with areaportals otherwise you will get a leak. Post a compile log.