I dislike maps sometimes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Ninjilla, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I hate being out of inspiration, I am still blocking out my 5CP map, but found out that I cannot connect my 5th and 4th CP to make sense or to make an interesting path from 4th to the building that holds 5th, which sucks because gameplay wise I think they would work very well. I could redesign my 4th CP but then once I do that I just generally have no knowledge of how to make entering a giant building look not very boring :/

/tired rant

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    When in doubt, look at valve maps.

3. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    Watchtower isn't a Valve map, it's community.

Also, FYI, that same joke got me an infraction so watch where you aim your sarcastic comments, you never know who might report your posts.

4. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    When in doubt, play tf2 stock maps for an hour or two, or go sketch outside.

I do this when I'm stuck and it usually gives me good ideas.

5. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just take a screenshot of your map in Hammer, go into photoshop (or what you have) and try to make five separate layers that use no elements from eachother. After you've done that, try and mix and match until you have found a way that you like.

There is usually something to use every time you try to redesign an area and even if you might not even use any of your five sketches, you can save them for inspiration another time you get stuck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ninjilla

Positive Ratings:
    Was Grazr's second comment edited?

Thanks I'll try that Huckle!

7. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    No, the post above it was deleted.

8. Ninjilla

Positive Ratings:
    Well, guess it's time to go grind on some Valve maps, hope I get some results!