i can never stick with a map :(

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
S

Spae

I reaaaaaly want to make a map. but i can never focus and stay on one. i always just delete it and i never get anything. i feel like its total garbage. in the last contest i was going to submit a map but i didnt because i hated it. ive tried detailing one area right away so i get into the map and i get inspired but no it doesnt work. anyone else had this? any tips?

MrHatlf

engineer main, majoring in exploiting
Feb 6, 2013
It happens. Make something, make sure it works of course and get it tested. Use the feedback from testing to make it better. Everyone here as several unreleased maps sitting in their maps folder because they don't know how to improve it or it's just too difficult to improve upon it.

Exelaratore

L2: Junior Member
Mar 18, 2013
I would recommend making a very basic layout of your entire map first with dev textures. It took me a while to get used to this because I loved detailing and making things look nice. I would never get anywhere whenever I started my map with detailing, I would lose interest. If you have the entire map layout in front of you, It's a lot easier to stay focused on the map because you'll want to work on it. I like detailing and making the map look nice, it's the whole creation of the map layout that used to get me so much. If this strategy doesn't work, sometimes all it takes is just forcing yourself to work on the map. Also playtesting your map after a few updates has always made me want to work more on the map. Once you see it in game, it'll get you excited and make you think of how great it'll look when it's done. Hope this helped!

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
And welcome to the pit, an inescapable place where we get stuck constantly trying to get something good from A1. Just listen to Sean's thing, he's got it down pretty well.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
To add on, detailing really should be used when you are bored, and are finished with an area, however try working chunk by chunk for multipoint/stage.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
@Spae I would say that for every one map of mine that is released, there are probably at least four or five mapped-out ideas that are scrapped because I don't have a true vision of what I want. It's very much OK to toss aside the stuff you're not happy with it as long as you can accept that no map is perfect, especially Alpha versions.