1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Hypocrites!

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by nik, Jun 10, 2010.

1. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Source
    So since when have earbuds from an iPod been from the 50's?
    Since when has the demoman ever expressed interest in medieval weaponry?
    What about a samurai helmet? A pimp hat?

I just don't get it anymore.

2. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Bunny hats didn't exist in the fifties, and also the demoman is scottish and black, making him interested in big swords and pimp hats, and the soldier is into Sun Tzu.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve is just having fun with this game...

4. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    Australians didn't exist in the 1960's either.

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  5. Timberjaw

Timberjaw L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    What you're forgetting is that it's 1960 in Valve Time...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just don't get why they would put these tips up on the very site that they accept models from which completely go against what they said.

EDIT: that sentence didn't even make sense

It is IRONIC how this is on the contribute site, which is the same site that they accept models that don't follow the tips from.

7. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    I think the core point is that Valve seems pretty willing to violate the art directive they lay down for everybody else when it comes to making a buck. That's different from "continuity" or even "backstory".

I can't wholly blame them, but... Just replace the headphones with a turtleneck... ;)

8. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I find it lame that they set down these p[rincibles before, and designed the characters so that the silhouettes would be the focus, and then make these silly hats. They just look so silly to me, and not the good kind. Thats just me.

9. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    It's called persistence of ignorance. It's like medi-guns and needle guns, self-building sentries and teleporters, 2 bitter rivals situated a few hundred yards away and fighting in between. Just because one thing doesn't quite fit the trend, doesn't mean the overall image has to be destroyed. Valve just used "earbuds" because its a iconic part of Apple and can be placed on each character.

10. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^ I thought it was called "suspension of disbelief." :V

Yeah, there's so much crazy stuff in TF2 as it is (the very premise is pretty crazy in itself - two teams, somehow consisting of the same nine people, hired to destroy each other by two rival holding corporations that secretly control the world and just so happen to frequently build identical bases several feet apart - that one more little thing isn't too much of a worry to Valve.

That said, they do go a little far with the weirdness sometimes. The Triboniophorus Tyrannus (Pyro's brainsucker hat) comes to mind.

11. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    I think they're much the same thing.