Hydro Bowl

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by dormedas, Aug 25, 2009.

1. dormedas

dormedas L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The map is a conversion of the satellite part of tc_hydro to king of the hill game mode with balancing work. This has taken me a little over the past week to do up to this point.

This is the first public release. I need playtesting on a full server, so please report any bugs you find. The known bugs are below:

-- Can still see outside the map from cracks in the unused assaulting doors. [Fixed in the alpha 3 work that's beginning]
    -- RED's bottom resupply locker and the aux spawn resupply locker do not animate when used.
    -- No 3d skybox
    -- No Roof above BLU's 2nd floor exit. --> can be seen by soldier/demos

Thanks in advance, and critique anything you feel like; but please bear in mind this is still an alpha, and as such, I am trying to work on gameplay/balance before cosmetics.

2. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    What is this I don't even...

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    At the least, you could use hydro's light settings... it really doesn't look like hydro at all without it. It also looks like you have a leak, those shadows are way too dark.

4. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    wow nice job butchering valve's map

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  5. FlavorRage

FlavorRage L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ew. At least when I tried to convert a Valve map to a new gamemode, I didn't ruin the atmosphere D:

Good God, you actually released this?

Okay, sorry to be mean. good luck, but you've got a ways to go before this is done.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not to be discouraging, but I don't think this looks all too great...the concept of using that point's layout as KOTH is interesting, but literally copy-pasting the map and retooling it just won't work for KOTH. Specifically, the map should be asymmetrical.

I think if you created the map based around the same concept but reworked from scratch it'd be much better.

7. SMK

SMK L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah what he said.

8. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    And, um, when I said "should be asymmetrical" I meant "shouldn't". An asymmetrical KOTH map would really quite honestly be dreadful, and...that's what this is. In a KOTH map, no side should have a specific advantage.

9. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    unless it's a farm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dormedas

dormedas L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've been working to balance the map out in terms of equality of field (e.g., extending BLU's battlements to match RED's) and in terms of advantages and disadvantages. What I mean by the latter is that though RED may have one thing, BLU has another that presents about an equal advantage.

That is the main reason for why I am "releasing" the map, is so that I can playtest it with full servers to ensure balance is attained; even with asymmetrical geometry.

I understand where you're coming from. It makes me wonder why I changed it at all. I was trying to pull as much from Hydro as possible. I shall change this. (The current lighting sucks anyhow)

Ditto on the light settings/skybox as written above. I have sealed the map off from the void.. it shouldn't have a leak, but I'll double check again.

Thanks!

Please, though I respect you for your superiority on the forums (and to my skill), keep the comments (read: criticism) about the map. Making useless posts are useless for me to create a better map. I understand "copying" and modifying VALVe maps is taboo-like here, however, I am trying to create something that has more substance than changing the lighting of 2fort and hoping to become the next officialized map. I'm trying to move a new gametype onto a "classic" map that many may enjoy.

11. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Respect VALVe maps and don't edit them :(