Hybrid gamemode question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by sooshey, Jun 23, 2016.

1. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sure as many of you know, Overwatch has a gamemode that combines A/D and payload. I was wondering if this gamemode would work in TF2? I know combining HUDs from different gamemodes doesn't usually end pretty.

Edit: For those who haven't played Overwatch, the gamemode is pretty much just like A/D except the second point is replaced with a short 2-cap payload portion.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    iirc Snowplow uses that gamemode or somewhat similar.
    fyi combining gamemodes rarely ends pretty itself.

3. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Snowplow isn't quite what I'm looking for because it's not really the same kind of payload as a regular payload map. I edited my original post for clarification.
    Also, if the gamemode works in Overwatch, I thought I'd give it a try here. I'm well aware of the fact that hybrid gamemodes are iffy.

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Trying or not is like completely up to mapper, though keep in mind that the games are different enough.

5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Gloryhole has a payload/CP hybrid mechanic where one person had to be on the CP for the cart to be pushed through a particular section of track. I don't know that the HUD actually showed the CP (it's been a while since I played on it), but this map (as well as contacting @grazr) might be a good place to do some research.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. GreenLemon

GreenLemon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i found that "tf_logic_hybrid_ctf_cp"

7. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    That is for cp where you bring a flag to a control point to capture it, A gamemode that predates TF2 (cp_dustbowl in team fortress classic was this gamemode). You can see it in action in TF2 with ctf_harp.

As for combining payload and cp, it could probably be done, but with some comprimises. The payload hud and the cp hud cannot mix in any way, so you would have to fake the cp hud with a screen overlay entity and create your own control point logic.

Alternatively, you could make the cart's first point work like the turntable in pl_barnblitz, this would provide a visual indication of capture progress without breaking your map away from the payload gamemode.

8. Star Bright

Star Bright L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldn't something like the way Cranetop did it (stand on cp to make payload move, pl is inaccessible until enough time has been accrued on cp) kind of fit this?

9. GreenLemon

GreenLemon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    or if your team own the cp you must forward the pl , if not you must defend , at the timer end the team that pushed more from the center win

10. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    IIrc, pl_redstone does something vaguely similar to hybrid pl-cp. It has gates on the track that need to be opened by capturing points.

Hybrid mode is completely possible (tho it needs some clever entity logic). The issue with it would be lack of appropriate HUD for this mode.