HUGE map corruption: Help needed for fixing

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
When loading up my map earlier today, I saw that the file had corrupted. Everything was there, but sections moved around and such to form a jumbled mess. Since then, I have been working to move everything back, but it is incredibly difficult. Is there an easier way to do so? I will attach the vmf just in case

Attachments

• MvM_origins_displaced.bsp
    4.2 MB · Views: 138
Mar 23, 2013
look in the folder where you safe your maps. Hammer saves a .vmf and a .vmx file. the vmx file is a backup, rename the file to vmf and you have an older version of your map.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
look in the folder where you safe your maps. Hammer saves a .vmf and a .vmx file. the vmx file is a backup, rename the file to vmf and you have an older version of your map.
Thanks. I managed to decompile a previous version of the map, but it will definitely come in handy in the future

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks. I managed to decompile a previous version of the map, but it will definitely come in handy in the future
Was able to salvage a lot of map logic i had added in

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
DON"T decompile an old version of the map. You may get further corruption later on. Instead, do what Lampenpam suggested, or load one of the auto backup copies from C:\Hammerautosave.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
DON"T decompile an old version of the map. You may get further corruption later on. Instead, do what Lampenpam suggested, or load one of the auto backup copies from C:\Hammerautosave.
The VMX was corrupted as well. I will try the auto saves, but it will be testing my luck

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
The VMX was corrupted as well. I will try the auto saves, but it will be testing my luck
Nope. the most recent one was from the 18th

Mar 23, 2013
Next time your map gets corrupted, don't save or the corrupted version might become your backup-vmx :/

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Invest in source control. It's free and will save your butt.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Tools that manage your source code. There are many alternatives on the market and most of them are indeed free.

They will let you keep a history, with things such as notes about individual changes, timestamps and what not.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Tools that manage your source code. There are many alternatives on the market and most of them are indeed free.

They will let you keep a history, with things such as notes about individual changes, timestamps and what not.
Ok