How would I send the players flying?

Punn Ames Ardum

L1: Registered
Jan 16, 2021
I'm trying to "beam" up players and push them into pits (because I am trying to do something for april 1st); though the "up" part isn't really working that well. I need help to make it to where it just shoots the player up and/or move them fast horizontally.

I have tried using trigger_catapult and trigger_push in the upwards direction to force you to go upwards, even giving the players zero gravity (which I may have not set up properly), but you still had to jump for the brush to take effect.

It was wobbling a bit while you were on the ground (which I'm guessing was due to you getting pushed up but then gravity taking effect). I messed with the details of the brush, but even when I set the "angle enter" thing to -1 it still didn't push up the player. I even set the gravity to zero in there using another brush! Still it seems to be no use.

I've had luck with it pushing the players to the side and such, though it can be fought against and you can move back out of it even if it is pushing you in the opposite direction. Using trigger_catapult made it hard to fight against, yet it came with a downside of it only catapulting you in intervals instead of all at once. I don't know how to rectify this situation without doing a bunch of brushes that might really slow down the game

- Thanks for reading, Ardum

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
trigger_push cannot launch players who are on the ground into the air, no matter how high the push force. trigger_catapult (and trigger_apply_impulse) are not bound by this restriction. What I would advise is a combination of these entities: A trigger_catapult on the ground to launch players airborne, and a trigger_push to keep players moving up. It's only two entities, should be easy for Source to handle.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Another trick is dropping the player a tiny bit. Any height will get them to launch. I believe on Probed and Wubwubwub I used a clip brush that would toggle off and drop the player a very small amount which would cause them to be airborn and allow lifting them.