How to set up custom files for a map without compiling them into it

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

ugng

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2017
I know this isn't exactly related to mapping, but I can't find any better place to ask this, so here goes.

I am trying to make a modification to a few textures on a community map, which has its custom textures compiled into it. Is there any way to override the compiled textures with my own without modifying the bsp itself? I've tried placing them into the custom and download folders, but the map overrides both of these.

Please tell me if you know of a better forum to ask this question on, because I couldn't find one

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
well, usually, your custom content is going override the content in the map (as long as they share the same path that is). What you're probably experiencing is sv_pure. Most servers use sv_pure to disable model/texture mods as they can be used to cheat (materials rendering through walls and such). if you're in a local server, you can try "sv_pure 0"

ugng

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2017
I tried it on a local server with sv_pure 0 and -1, and neither seemed to change anything. So sv_pure isn't blocking my files as far as I can tell

Mar 23, 2013
well, usually, your custom content is going override the content in the map (as long as they share the same path that is). What you're probably experiencing is sv_pure.

You are kinda contradicting yourself. First you say its impossible because assets of the map are loaded last and then you say it's only a matter if sv_pure.

Anyway, because of the former you cant change the custom assets without modifying the bsp.