How To Prevent Hackers On Steam!

luckyg

L1: Registered
Jul 24, 2009
I have been posting this around various websites to bring its attention to everybody.

Valve have recently added an extra layer of security to the steam platform. This prevents people from changing your password without having to do anything else, now when your password is changed you need to also click on the link in a confirmation email that gets sent to your email inbox

1. Log into steam and click on Settings

step1f.png

2. Click on Verify Email Address

step2a.png

3. Click Next

step3r.png

4. Wait for the confirmation message to come up then click Finish

step4.png

5. Go into your email account and look for an email from Steam Support open it up and click on the link to verify your email

step5t.png

6. You will then be directed to your web browser where you get a message confirming it

step6e.png

I hope this helps you all, and helps prevent peoples accounts getting hacked in the future

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Seems like such an obvious feature to have, wonder why it took them so long to add it.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Ah good catch!. Thanks!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Seems like such an obvious feature to have, wonder why it took them so long to add it.

Hm, this is strange, because my account was hacked about 4 years ago but i was not sent a password verification to my hotmail address (which my account is registored to) when the password was changed by the hacker. However, after ticketing steam about it and getting my account back, i was told to change my password from their temporary replacement and i was sent a varification email asking me to confirm my password and secret answer when i had changed them. Since, when ever changing my password or secret answer i have recieved verification emails to my registored email account (which was registored from the very start).

I had always figured it was default for most software. Although i know some people don't have steam registored to an email account, my brother has a weird name for his steam account that is not an email address.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Hm, this is strange, because my account was hacked about 4 years ago but i was not sent a password verification to my hotmail address (which my account is registored to) when the password was changed by the hacker. However, after ticketing steam about it and getting my account back, i was told to change my password from their temporary replacement and i was sent a varification email asking me to confirm my password and secret answer when i had changed them. Since, when ever changing my password or secret answer i have recieved verification emails to my registored email account (which was registored from the very start).

I had always figured it was default for most software. Although i know some people don't have steam registored to an email account, my brother has a weird name for his steam account that is not an email address.

But this feature only exists since a few weeks or so, you cant have used it years ago :O