How to optimise my map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by SparkyShock, Sep 17, 2016.

1. SparkyShock

SparkyShock L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont know haw to optimise my map and want to know for when my map is in beta.
    20160917131827_1.jpg
    Am i doing hints right here v
    Capture 3.PNG

2. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
  3. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    You can use hint and skip brushes as well as area portals to optimize your map. From what I recall, correct optimization only happens on full compile as well.

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Optimization by hints is about preparing the visleaves so that vbsp will cut them in a way that results in a good PVS setup. But you need more than that. You need occluding geometry so that vvis can reject visleaves.

5. SparkyShock

Positive Ratings:
    How can i do that? Can you link me a tutorial, i want to learn how so the map is fun for everyone on all hardware

6. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    What he means with occluding geometry is big enough worldbrushes for things to be hidden behind.

7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Tumb already posted it, but this is the bible on optimization. It has just about everything you need to know about how it all works. It's a lot to take in though, so I suggest reading it very thoroughly, and going back and giving it a few rereads as you absorb more of it.

8. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  9. SparkyShock

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you god Crash