How to make the site better to use for yourself and others!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
There is a little known forum feature that goes hand in hand with the thanks button. We have thread ratings. So you can rate useful threads good and rate bad, off topic or not so useful threads down.
Then the thread rating will appear next to it's title so other users can see how good a thread it is.

So how does this work? well, go find a good thread (or a bad one) and look at the first post. You'll see something like this, then just click it and add your rating!
attachment.php

Then that will show up on the forum when browsing through threads, or looking at recent posts, or on the front page. Here's how it looks for some good quality threads:
attachment.php

So go on, go do your part and rate those good threads good and bad threads bad!

Secondly, there is the popular tag cloud. Generated by the tags you give threads when you make them. The tags appear just below the main post window. You can only add tags when you make a new thread or when you come back to your own thread. So make them good, and don't waste one of your alloted five tags on something like your name, the search will pick up your threads if you search for your name anyhow. Add them here:
attachment.php

Remember! When you add tags it tries to suggest tags to you based on what you type, so type slow and let it suggest already existing tags and use those instead. Don't add a new tag "cubemap" if "cubemaps" already exist!!

And these show up like this at the bottom of the thread:
attachment.php

Once a thread has tags it gets added to the tag cloud which is visible on the front page here - http://tf2maps.net/ or on their own page here - http://forums.tf2maps.net/tags.php The search feature also works better if you add tags to threads.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Heh, someone made a funny and rated this thread as 1-terrible. This will deffinately make the site easier to navigate in terms of decent content. As long as people don't abuse it...

Hopefully Booj will come through with some awesome replacements for those generic white squares.

Aug 19, 2008
Totally didn´t know a thing about this rating feature, it´s just to invisible in the corner
i´d suggest making the squares in a desaturated red to invite people on rating
or some color patching from 1st-square=red=terrible to 5th-square=green=excellent

thx for the reminder, will definately use it now

Last edited:

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
Aye, it's a bit hard to connect "rating" with "innocuous white squares".

I say make them dapper hats!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Heh, someone made a funny and rated this thread as 1-terrible. This will deffinately make the site easier to navigate in terms of decent content. As long as people don't abuse it...

Hopefully Booj will come through with some awesome replacements for those generic white squares.

Cookies.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Tiny green hammers!

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
never thought about the rating feature, /this thread 5 stars

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
should need more than one rating to register on newer posts, mabye?
But this is quite a good community except for a tiny minority who want to bring it down to FPSBanana level, so I think we can trust ourselves :)

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Well I was hoping to have a bunch of options to post for you lot to pick from, but everything I tried was either lame, ugly, unidentifiable at small size, stuck out like a sore thumb, or blended into obscurity like white boxes. :facepalm:

The only one that was reasonable in all areas was this one. Yea/nay/comments/idea?

hammers4.jpg

Though to satiate all you people that were yelling for cookies, I did do that too for lulz.

cookies.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'll never be able to decide between these 3. Although the cookies are awesome.. and even half relavent to a scoring system, they're a bit of a TF2maps meme now :p if you changed your avatar we might lose the amusement of the scoring system.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
The Hammers are great, the cookies... look kind of odd for the "missing" ones. Would be better to remove them entirely, like the hammers.