How to make the site better to use for yourself and others!

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by YM, Nov 3, 2009.

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    There is a little known forum feature that goes hand in hand with the thanks button. We have thread ratings. So you can rate useful threads good and rate bad, off topic or not so useful threads down.
    Then the thread rating will appear next to it's title so other users can see how good a thread it is.

So how does this work? well, go find a good thread (or a bad one) and look at the first post. You'll see something like this, then just click it and add your rating!
    [​IMG]

Then that will show up on the forum when browsing through threads, or looking at recent posts, or on the front page. Here's how it looks for some good quality threads:
    [​IMG]

So go on, go do your part and rate those good threads good and bad threads bad!

Secondly, there is the popular tag cloud. Generated by the tags you give threads when you make them. The tags appear just below the main post window. You can only add tags when you make a new thread or when you come back to your own thread. So make them good, and don't waste one of your alloted five tags on something like your name, the search will pick up your threads if you search for your name anyhow. Add them here:
    [​IMG]

Remember! When you add tags it tries to suggest tags to you based on what you type, so type slow and let it suggest already existing tags and use those instead. Don't add a new tag "cubemap" if "cubemaps" already exist!!

And these show up like this at the bottom of the thread:
    [​IMG]

Once a thread has tags it gets added to the tag cloud which is visible on the front page here - http://tf2maps.net/ or on their own page here - http://forums.tf2maps.net/tags.php The search feature also works better if you add tags to threads.

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Heh, someone made a funny and rated this thread as 1-terrible. This will deffinately make the site easier to navigate in terms of decent content. As long as people don't abuse it...

Hopefully Booj will come through with some awesome replacements for those generic white squares.

3. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    nice.

I found a "problem", you can rate your own threads

4. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    Totally didn´t know a thing about this rating feature, it´s just to invisible in the corner
    i´d suggest making the squares in a desaturated red to invite people on rating
    or some color patching from 1st-square=red=terrible to 5th-square=green=excellent

thx for the reminder, will definately use it now

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. Ten19

Ten19 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Aye, it's a bit hard to connect "rating" with "innocuous white squares".

I say make them dapper hats!

6. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Cookies.

7. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    Tiny green hammers!

8. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    sandwiches, try something tf2 style

9. frothy

frothy L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice feature. I agree with the above folks: Make the ratings something silly and TF2 related.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    working on the new image, only have 12^2 pixels to work with here :(

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    never thought about the rating feature, /this thread 5 stars

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    New images up. Hope you like em.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  13. OlafK

OlafK L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can I have some internets?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  14. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    should need more than one rating to register on newer posts, mabye?
    But this is quite a good community except for a tiny minority who want to bring it down to FPSBanana level, so I think we can trust ourselves :)

15. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Search by thread rating?

16. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Well I was hoping to have a bunch of options to post for you lot to pick from, but everything I tried was either lame, ugly, unidentifiable at small size, stuck out like a sore thumb, or blended into obscurity like white boxes. :facepalm:

The only one that was reasonable in all areas was this one. Yea/nay/comments/idea?

[​IMG]

Though to satiate all you people that were yelling for cookies, I did do that too for lulz.

[​IMG]

17. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I'll never be able to decide between these 3. Although the cookies are awesome.. and even half relavent to a scoring system, they're a bit of a TF2maps meme now :p if you changed your avatar we might lose the amusement of the scoring system.

18. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i like those little mini-icon things

19. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I've used the same cookie for 9 years. I don't think it's going to be changing anytime ;)

20. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    The Hammers are great, the cookies... look kind of odd for the "missing" ones. Would be better to remove them entirely, like the hammers.