How To Make Skins For Models

DisruptedHunter

L2: Junior Member
Aug 30, 2009
I edited some textures for some models but instead of fully replacing them, I'd like to make skins. I don't remember how to do it and was hoping you'd help me figure it out. For example, I edited the curtains_01 from props_manor and made them a dark purple for my halloween map..but I need different colors as well, how do I make is so that model have these skins it can call on in hammer?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You have to recompile the model under a different name; texturegroups (skin sets) can't be added to existing models. Here is the model decompiler (use Hooch's version), and here is the article about $texturegroup, the .qc command used to give a model different skins.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Also make sure the decompile/recompile process doesn't mess with the orientation or origin, since that's a thing that happens in some cases. Anyone who loads a map with this model in it is going to keep that copy of the model in memory when they change to another map.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That shouldn't be problem, steve; when adding skins you should be making a completely different model (for curtains01.mdl you'd make curtains01_skins.mdl maybe), not compiling under the same name; that way the thing you described won't happen.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
But it's not necessary if you have any intention of doing it right.