How to make !rtd servers?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by HawkofRock, Sep 7, 2011.

1. HawkofRock

HawkofRock L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    does anyone know how to make it to were i can make a server with !rtd !admind and !rtv ?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    moved to the proper sub-forum with a proper title.

3. waxpax

waxpax L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    You first need to install Meta Mod, then you need to install Source Mod, then you need to install the roll the dice plugin of your choice. Here are some sites that might help you out:

http://metamod.org/
    http://www.sourcemod.net/
    http://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Source Mod comes with a rock the vote plugin by defualt, if you want something fancier, look around Allied Mods a bit.

You'll also need an FTP client and you'll need to know how to use it and you'll need to know how to connect to your server, I like Filezilla because it was the first one I used and I'm used to it. Your server provider should be able to provide you with the FTP details you need to connect to your server and modify it. Some server providers provide you with an option to install meta and source mod from their control panel.

Oh, I don't think there's any way to set up these things on a local server, either, so you'll probably have to rent a server from somewhere.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, you will need to run a dedicated server off a machine. Either a spare desktop you run as a server or an actual server if you're fortunate enough to own that much hardware, or hire a server from a provider online.

You can run a dedicated server off your machine but it's performance will be terrible and you'll not be able to connect to it yourself unless it's on a second machine on your network.

Once you setup your dedicated server you'll want to install meta and source mod, as waxpax said, from which you can install many plugin options found over at alliedmods.net (see waxpax's links).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  5. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    wut

i've ran dedicated server on my laptop and connected to it from the same laptop just fine with no noticeable performance problems
    map upload speed was terrible tho

6. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    The performance wouldnt be noticeable to you. However to other people it would be very noticeable.

7. Sergis

Positive Ratings:
    neither tech nor steff complained. also, how would it be noticeable to others? ping maybe if i had shitty internet, but performance?

8. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    Then you live in some alternate reality or your computer is powerful enough to run both the communication and math processes of a server whilst also rendering the game as a second process. But you're completely missing the point, i'm not even sure you can run SM on a local config; which is what he wants, a "RTV" SM plugin.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sergis

Positive Ratings:
    only an i3 :p

if my computer wouldnt be strong enough to run server and tf2, i'd be noticing that too, wouldnt i

edit: isnt tf2 clientserver anyway so local servers run a server and game at the same time, just a bit differently from running a dedicated

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    If people could run games off their machines so easily we wouldn't even have or need dedicated servers.