1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

How to make escalators

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by pisaman2, Jun 21, 2009.

1. pisaman2

pisaman2 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I want to make a map with some escalators but have no idea how. I thought about func_conveyer and func_train but I don't think there is a way to make the steps loop. I was thinking about doing something similar to the train in Well and have the stairs go down and then have more stairs arrive at the top. Sorta like a train arriving and going, arriving and going for the whole duration of the match. Problem is, I don't know whether this will work or how the trains in Well work.

Any advice?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. ParanoidDrone

ParanoidDrone L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    If nothing else, you could probably have the steps loop around under the visible floor, like on a real escalator.

3. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    It's not worth the trouble, trust me.

4. pisaman2

Positive Ratings:
    Why is it not worth the trouble? It's kind of a key concept in my map - all malls have escalators!!!!!!

5. Pianodan

Pianodan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    So just have them stopped, with a blinky red light at the bottom, if you must. :)

6. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Carefully rigged and well timed func_trains with a point_template spawning the "steps" could work. Cover that with an invisible func_conveyor.

At least, that's how I'd try to do it.

7. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    All moving objects in source/TF2 are buggy as hell, Doing anything more complex than a door will result with you getting stuck in it.

The exception to this is payload carts. They have improved hitdetection and as a result you get stuck a lot less (still happends).

When I say it's not worth the trouble I mean; you would have to make every step in the entire escalator a small "payload cart" and set them all up properly.
    Your map will also get the awesome text "Payload" in the startup screen, that can't be removed.

Go ahead if you want to, its not impossible. but "It's not worth the trouble"....

8. pisaman2

Positive Ratings:
    Ok. Thanks. I'll do the blinky red light idea ;)

9. krazy6446

krazy6446 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure, but someone told me that you could use func_door and have it move up and down. Any lights could then have a input stating that after the elevator starts moving, it takes x seconds for it to light up.

10. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    An animated objects would probably be easiest for looks.

Or animated tex (would look more like conveyor belt)

As far as pushing the player??? There's the push brush, but players have to jump/drop into it.

11. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can find a tutorial for this here. I know its in german, but maybe you can look at the pictures :D

No, seriously, you can download it as a prefab on the end of the page ;)

12. Gaw

Gaw L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  13. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    An easy work around for making things rotate in TF2 is to use func_door_rotating and make it trigger when the map loads.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009