How to make a bird fly in TF2 - or other models with animations

Oct 6, 2008
1. make path track for bird
2. make a train - select starting path location - "bird train"
3. select bird model - white dove very limited, hl2 birds have many more animation choices - name it something and parent it to train - "Bird Model"
4. select default animation for model
5. figure out your trigger, i.e. logic auto on map spawn to start the train forward, or player triggers it by touch said trigger to move train or to trigger a relay

6. Prep and name your trigger relays i.e.

"relay 1 - Fly"
"relay 2 - glide"

relay 3,4,5 etc hop, eat, whatever the default animations are for that model

7. train passes node (or player activated)

On Pass trigger: "Relay 1 - fly", output = on trigger, target "Bird Model", via this input "SetAnimation", with a parameter overide of "Whatever animation you want"

Note: "Whatever animation you want" has to be the exact name seen in the model's animation flag - just copy paste it.

The bird model should change from what it was doing to your newly selected animation.

8. Repeat step 7 to change it again - repeat as often as needed until your animation sequence is completed.

Edit:

Step 9 - you may need to modify the pathtrack speed setting to match the model's speed i.e. too slow and the bird will walk faster in the animation than he progresses along the path or to fast and he'll travel further than he is actually able to walk based upon his step count.

Last edited: