How to make a 2tpl map?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

PeterNorthsStuntDouble

L1: Registered
May 10, 2008
Good day everyone, I'm a big fan of the 2tpl map 2tpl_mine_alpine and would like to make my own 2tpl map. I thought I remembered there was a tutorial on how to do this a long time ago but apparently Google isn't my friend as I've been unable to find it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows where there is such a tutorial or in lieu of that knows where I can find a vmf file for such a map so I can figure it out.

Thanks for your time. :)

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
There's probably not a vmf out there as it's not a very popular mode to create maps for, but if you dug up a copy of 2tpl_mine_alpine and run it through a decompiler the resulting vmf will have the necessary entities to make the cart work.

pl_waste is another option that implemented the mode.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
we usually call that tug-of-war around these parts... as far as tug of war goes, I'm your man. you can look at the prefab that was done for pl_waste but that thing has been broken since forever.

the best place to start at atm is pl_effigy, which has been abandoned and is available for download http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=22619

you can start from where I left off if you so desire or you can just steal the entities and run away with them.

PeterNorthsStuntDouble

May 10, 2008
Thanks for your help all.

And I can't figure out why it's not popular, I absolutely love it way more than regular payload. :)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The problem is that it tended to run into stalemates. Like, more than 5CP. Well, that and the only popular 2tpl map, Waste, broke and was never fixed, so the community lost interest.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
The problem is that it tended to run into stalemates. Like, more than 5CP. Well, that and the only popular 2tpl map, Waste, broke and was never fixed, so the community lost interest.

pl_effigy has many mechanisms to fix that.
-longer spawntimes as the map progresses
-faster cart as the map progresses
-rollbacks to help you push when you're literally on the other side of the map

tug of war is easy to do, you just have to put some thought into what you are doing (unlike most other maps where people are just banging brushes together to see what works)

PeterNorthsStuntDouble

May 10, 2008
Well I tend to like maps with chokepoints because it means some awesome battles. So maybe I go against the average player. My 2 fav maps are the aforementioned 2tpl_mine_alpine and cp_warpath.

Edit: What do you mean when you say the map is broken? Do all the players turn into commie-nazis and force everyone to support the gold standard whist simultaneously changing your long distance carrier without your knowledge or consent?

Last edited:

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
What do you mean when you say the map is broken? Do all the players turn into commie-nazis and force everyone to support the gold standard whist simultaneously changing your long distance carrier without your knowledge or consent?

I think icarus' prefab had a broken control point or something, don't remember exactly but it wasn't working out of the box