how to get level design ideas?

cryobox0301

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2018
hi guys, I wonder how do you guys come up with nice map layouts? do you take inspirations from a real world place or another video game level/map? I cant come up with good map layout architecture in my mind.

thanks for answers.

Wyvern

Certified TF2 Cartographer
Feb 16, 2018
If you are on the Discord, which I highly recommend you join, we have an entire channel dedicated to inspiration for maps. Thinking of a proper layout/theme takes time, but it's something that gets better as you progress through your mapping endeavors. For now, Take a look at TF2's stock themes: Deserts, Forests, Tundras, etc. If you have a certain biome you like, choose a 'sub-level' of that biome. For Example:

Desert:
Mines, Caverns, Caves, Canyons, Plains, Etc.

Once you have that, Take time to study and research(such as searching 'mines' on google images) what you want to create, and try to influence gameplay aspects that you see from other mappers. As the great composer Hadyn once said: "Good composers borrow, Great composers steal!" Don't be afraid to incorporate aspects of a valve map, or even another community map that you like, and making it into something you like. However, don't go too overboard with copying things, make it your own style! I'm excited to see what you can create, cryo. Keep me posted!